Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Ex Esso kid

987 round vent by ignition

It's the little things about Porsche that vex me. Sixty five hundred miles, have actuated vents five times maximum, change the direction and vent thumb slide and metal clip are in my hand. I love this car but comon' Porsche! It's close to the worth of my current camp, think it would be good to have the vent slide last past ten thousand? It's not like a child has been playing with it!!!

Anyone have any experience with said assembly and re-assembly? Tomorrow I'm going to see if it's covered under warranty.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

They've fallen apart on my 986 as well
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

My driverside vent been broken for I can't recall how many years.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Garage
Mine spits foam bits at me.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Mine spits foam bits at me.
Same here, a guy wrote about a fix a couple years back, but has anyone attempted it?
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Dealer could not have been nicer, tried to repair but ordered new vent free. Once I saw the design I'm not surprised it failed, Porsche made the louver fork a two piece affair that snaps together in a way that puts pressure against the snapped fitment with each actuation, a real WTF in vent design. I finally saw the new Boxster, I must say it looks nicer in person, front end is aggressive looking, they say sales are strong. Very happy with my choice and the way they handled my car.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Livin' a dream!

Garage
Same..

Pics? Tips? Same problem just occasionally annoying..
greenandtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

OK here's the best shot I could get. Each little foot you see on the finger slide has a corresponding rectangle slot on the shank of the fork piece and they assemble like a plastic locking mortise and tenon. This snap locking assembly has a small spring that is barely visible in the image, this fits into slots on the outside center vertical bar, located in the center of the round vent. The assembly must be built around said center vertical bar. The fork tine portion is fed in via the vent front and manipulated into position with a small pick. Next the spring is placed and capped by the finger slide completing the outside assembly, then the snap together has to be accomplished by more pick and hold work through the front vent. Hope this helps, tough to get a good shot of. If you practiced dry a tiny drop of glue would fix an otherwise expensive piece, I will report on the cost of the item when I get it.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 08-31-2012 at 01:21 AM.