Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

Oil Pressure light on after overheat

Seems my 2000 Boxster S with 39K miles is having an issue. I was continually adding coolent to the coolent tank. Well yesterday the car overheated. I immediately pulled over and added some additional fluid. Car temp seems to have stabilized, but while pulling into neighborhood, my oil pressure light came on. I idled the car car to the house, less than a 1/4 mile. I went out this morning and verified the coolant was good. I check oil level and that is good. Oil on dipstick looks normal.

When I start the motor, the oil pressure light does not come on. But after running up to temperature, it comes on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

srohling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

First of all, stop driving the car. If you cannot verify the actual level of oil pressure by hooking up a gauge in place of the oil light’s sending unit, get it flat bedded to someone that can. These engines hate being overheated.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

I understand that, but I guess my big question is, why would I have pressure at startup, but the light comes on after warm up?
srohling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohling View Post
I understand that, but I guess my big question is, why would I have pressure at startup, but the light comes on after warm up?
Because oil thins as it gets hot, as the viscosity drops so does the pressure. Don't drive it until you get it checked.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohling View Post
Could be one or more of several things, some worse than others. Get it looked at.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

oil pressure low when warm

Hi . I have the same issue with my oil light coming on when warm perfectly normal from start up , I have checked with a external oil pressure gauge and the pressure drops to low for my liking at tick over but picks up when revved.
I have had the oil pump out and checked , all looks ok and changed the spindle whilst it was out but dont know the tolerances of free play there should be on the two cogs .
I will watch to see if this thread goes any where to helping us !
Cheers Andyoh

Andyoh is offline   Reply With Quote