Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #1

New Boxster Owner - Looking for tips on buying parts

Having just purchased a new boxster (it's awesome!), I need to get a couple of maintenance things done so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the following:

(I've read a lot on some of these items in the forum and on the web but can't seem to nail down anything specific.)

1. Air filter - Is MAHLE the OEM brand? They sell on ebay for about $20 ($5 shipping) and on this site www.****************************************.com for $19 (I believe shipping is $8). Which is the way to go? Also, I keep reading about how bad the K&N filter is related to oils or something like that but then I read an article saying that it actually improves performance - which is it?

2. General parts - related to the first question: where's the best place to get general maintenance parts and how can I figure out if something is OEM vs. aftermarket? Looking to buy things like Oil filter, brake pads, etc.

3. Wheels - the car came with 17in wheels. I know it's a matter of personal preference but I can't seem to figure out what are the "best rims" out there as an upgrade. If you guys know where the best prices are as well that would help me decide if I can afford to make this upgrade.

4. Tires - need new tires. Where should I go to get them? How much would 17inch tires cost and what brands/grades should I be aiming for?

5. Alignment - Dealer or local mechanic? Anyone have a recommendation for someone local?

6. Gas - could be really stupid but...where can I get 93+ octane gas in LA? I've only seen 91 and I've been to about...10 gas stations.

I'm in the Los Angeles area so if there's some local parts place that I can drive to that someone recommends, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm open to buying stuff online.

Any information would be helpful to this Porsche newbie. I still haven't had a chance to take pictures of the car but hopefully I can get that going soon.

Car background: 2001 Boxster (not S) manual

Last edited by idjiot; 09-13-2005 at 03:56 PM.
idjiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #2

Having just purchased a new boxster (it's awesome!), I need to get a couple of maintenance things done so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the following:

(I've read a lot on some of these items in the forum and on the web but can't seem to nail down anything specific.)

1. Air filter - Is MAHLE the OEM brand? They sell on ebay for about $20 ($5 shipping) and on this site www.****************************************.com for $19 (I believe shipping is $8). Which is the way to go? Also, I keep reading about how bad the K&N filter is related to oils or something like that but then I read an article saying that it actually improves performance - which is it? Mahle is OEM for the air and oil filters. Try www.pap-parts.com to compare prices on most filters.

2. General parts - related to the first question: where's the best place to get general maintenance parts and how can I figure out if something is OEM vs. aftermarket? Looking to buy things like Oil filter, brake pads, etc. See #1.

3. Wheels - the car came with 17in wheels. I know it's a matter of personal preference but I can't seem to figure out what are the "best rims" out there as an upgrade. If you guys know where the best prices are as well that would help me decide if I can afford to make this upgrade. No experience, no comment.

4. Tires - need new tires. Where should I go to get them? How much would 17inch tires cost and what brands/grades should I be aiming for? For me, I use Kumho tires, AA traction and Z-rated front, AA traction and W-rated in back.

5. Alignment - Dealer or local mechanic? Anyone have a recommendation for someone local? Dealer, but not within 25 miles of the car being lifted off the wheels.

6. Gas - could be really stupid but...where can I get 93+ octane gas in LA? I've only seen 91 and I've been to about...10 gas stations. I don't know about that, but several on here have said they can't get anything better than 91 in California.

I'm in the Los Angeles area so if there's some local parts place that I can drive to that someone recommends, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm open to buying stuff online. For Genuine Porsche parts, you can't beat Sunshine Porsche's prices. http://www.sunsetporsche.com/porscheatcost.php

Any information would be helpful to this Porsche newbie. I still haven't had a chance to take pictures of the car but hopefully I can get that going soon. Drive, drive, drive!!!!! :dance:

Car background: 2001 Boxster (not S) manual
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #3

Kumho

I went to Tirerack and found two models:

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712

Kumho ECSTA ASX

http://www.kumhousa.com/TireSelect/TireSize.asp?width=205&ratio=50&diameter=17

I live in LA so maybe I just need the 712?

Thanks for the site information!!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #4

1. Air filter - I'd use K&N. People have had issues when they OVER OIL after washing it out for the 1st time. On my tour of K&N, you only need a Very tiny bit of oil sprayed on. After some time the oil will make it to the rest of the filter. Many people just spray the whole thing down and the oil ends up destrying the MAS air sensor.

2. General parts -' I use everything OEM except for Brake pads which I will change over to a quietr, less dusty pad. Does anyone make a pad for autocross / street?

3. Wheels - You can't go wrong with the 18 inch Turbo Twists, try PCA or eBay for a nice used set.

4. Tires - Your preference. I run 19's for street, 18's for track. On the 19's I use a high Treadwear rating and they are very quiet. On the 18's BE CAREFUL. Before I purchased my Boxster, in test drove some Boxster's with a certain tire brand and caused HORRIBLE resonance in the cab with the top up......look into the tire brand.

5. Alignment - Be sure your alignment guy adjusts the Camber, caster, and toe. Many do not adjust the camber...as an added bonus have them corner balance it too.

6. Gas - I live in South Orange County, CA. I have NEVER seen 93 octane around. However the 76 station on the 5 FWY at La Paz off ramp sells 100 Octane at $6 a gallon.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #5

If you're in LA, you may want to see what these folks have:

Porsche dismantlers

3. IMHO I've never seen a Porsche with "awesome rims"; the 987 base rims are pretty average looking (actually I think the S rims are worse). BMW? they have some crazy-nice rims (once again IMHO).

4. I assume you have the 16s now, so if you want to go OEM N-Spec you'll need:

205/55R-16 (front) 225/50R-16 (rear)
Bridgestone Potenza S-O2
Continental ContisportContact
Michelin Pilot SX MXX3
Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico

(you'll need one of each...just kidding)

N-Spec tires aren't cheap and Boxsters are hard on tires...but I would 1) make sure you're going to keep the 16s before you buy tires (obviously) and 2) don't shortchange the tire selection in favor of spending that money on rims (IMHO).

Tire info

6. Some 76 stations have 100 instead of diesel. The sign on top of the hose is white instead of green, one station being off the 5 at La Paz in Orange County.

Unless you're tracking your car (and even then) I suspect you'll just be wasting your money.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #6

17inch

I've got 17inch rims right now actually. I believe the car was purchased with the "Sport Design package." (I haven't been able to figure out what the actual wheel is. My cousin says that it's NOT the Turbor Twist but call me ignorant cause I can't tell the difference - it might be slight.) Again, I haven't been able to get pictures going so that's that.

Thanks so far for the part sites. I started ordering stuff (ended up getting a Mahle Air Filter and a few Oil filters off Ebay but the prices I've seen from the links posted here are pretty similar).

If I can upgrade my wheels to 18" at a reasonable cost, I probably will. Just trying to find a design that I like so that I can justify spending the money.

Thanks for the tip on gas - I was just worried that I'd be ruining the car by putting in bad gas.