View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
deliriousga

Having just purchased a new boxster (it's awesome!), I need to get a couple of maintenance things done so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the following:

(I've read a lot on some of these items in the forum and on the web but can't seem to nail down anything specific.)

1. Air filter - Is MAHLE the OEM brand? They sell on ebay for about $20 ($5 shipping) and on this site www.****************************************.com for $19 (I believe shipping is $8). Which is the way to go? Also, I keep reading about how bad the K&N filter is related to oils or something like that but then I read an article saying that it actually improves performance - which is it? Mahle is OEM for the air and oil filters. Try www.pap-parts.com to compare prices on most filters.

2. General parts - related to the first question: where's the best place to get general maintenance parts and how can I figure out if something is OEM vs. aftermarket? Looking to buy things like Oil filter, brake pads, etc. See #1.

3. Wheels - the car came with 17in wheels. I know it's a matter of personal preference but I can't seem to figure out what are the "best rims" out there as an upgrade. If you guys know where the best prices are as well that would help me decide if I can afford to make this upgrade. No experience, no comment.

4. Tires - need new tires. Where should I go to get them? How much would 17inch tires cost and what brands/grades should I be aiming for? For me, I use Kumho tires, AA traction and Z-rated front, AA traction and W-rated in back.

5. Alignment - Dealer or local mechanic? Anyone have a recommendation for someone local? Dealer, but not within 25 miles of the car being lifted off the wheels.

6. Gas - could be really stupid but...where can I get 93+ octane gas in LA? I've only seen 91 and I've been to about...10 gas stations. I don't know about that, but several on here have said they can't get anything better than 91 in California.

I'm in the Los Angeles area so if there's some local parts place that I can drive to that someone recommends, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm open to buying stuff online. For Genuine Porsche parts, you can't beat Sunshine Porsche's prices. http://www.sunsetporsche.com/porscheatcost.php

Any information would be helpful to this Porsche newbie. I still haven't had a chance to take pictures of the car but hopefully I can get that going soon. Drive, drive, drive!!!!! :dance:

Car background: 2001 Boxster (not S) manual
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote