Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 04:15 AM   #1

Car got hit, few questions...

Anybody have a body shop referral in Northern NJ? Also, the only damage is to the front bumper cover...GT3 time? Is there a good bumper cover I should consider? As a general insurance query, can the shop give me an estimate based on the OEM front bumper, then I cover the difference for the GT3 bumper?

mspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:33 AM   #2

The insurance company has to make you "whole". They need to cover the cost of getting it back to its' original condition and pay you diminished value (the difference in value between the now repaired Boxster and the previously never wrecked Boxster). You'll need to go to a dealer or two and ask them what that difference is and get it in writing.

Once you've settled on how much they are paying you for the damages, you can have them cut you a check directly and you decide what you want to do with it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
The insurance company has to make you "whole". They need to cover the cost of getting it back to its' original condition and pay you diminished value (the difference in value between the now repaired Boxster and the previously never wrecked Boxster). You'll need to go to a dealer or two and ask them what that difference is and get it in writing.

Once you've settled on how much they are paying you for the damages, you can have them cut you a check directly and you decide what you want to do with it.

It's true that the insurance company will need to cover the cost of getting the bumper back to its original condition but they do not have to pay for the diminished value fo the vehicle. It's also true that they will issue to you a check directly.

I would recommend for you to negotiate with the shop first to find out if the shop is willing to swap the bumper for you once payment is received. Generally, when insurance company goes out to your home to inspect the vehicle, their repair estimate is lower than if you drop it at the shop and have the shop contact the insurance company to come down to inspect it. There are always hidden damages underneath the bumper such as the bumper support. Most shops will cooperate with its customers.

Richard
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #4

If you ask for the diminished value, they will give it to you. If they say they won't, let them know you'll have to call your state's insurance commissioner's office and it will be done. In Georgia they are required to pay diminished value by law because the car, even though it's fixed, lost measurable retail value the instant it was hit. I can't imagine NJ is more lenient than GA.

I'm with Richard on getting your own repair costs. I'd take it to the local Porsche dealer's body shop or the one they use for repairs to get the estimate done. Get the estimate with only Genuine Porsche parts. The insurance company's estimate will be low and they will use whatever parts they can if you don't ask so they can save some bucks.

Most of all, don't sign anything until you are completely satisfied with the results of the work or the amount of the check.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote