Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #21

Neekk1, while some of these comments are good some are just not good advise. I would recomend that you go to some of the manufactors sites and view their videos on how to wax and polish your car. Car Waxing - Griot's Garage . I find these very helpful.

Jim 'n' SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
My bigger issue is how to get swirls out first, swirls on black paint bothers me so much. Haven't found a solution, been able to eliminate a bit after a few rounds, but I want them gone.
you could try this

Best Car Wax & Best Car Polish | Cleanser Polish, Clean Vehicle Paintwork
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Ex Esso kid

I had one of those buffers too, if you really want to remove marks you are going to need a porter cable or equivalent.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #24

To get swirls out you need a good polish with a random orbital buffer and the correct pads. Here is one of the best out there for getting rid of swirls: Menzerna Super Intensive Polish SI1500 PO83Q (32 oz) Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish PO106FA (16oz) Heres a good machine: Porter Cable 7424XP Car Buffer / Polisher

Look at autogeek website for good detailing information as well as the best products to use. There are many on-line retailers who can provide you with the equipment needed to get that shine and keep it. I have a Porter Cable with 4 different pads I use to get it right. After that it's just a matter of maintaining the shine. On my Beepster I took it to a pro shop to get it right and now I maintain it. I do a few cars at my friends Indy shop to get them looking better and it takes time with the right equipment.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #25

Griot's sells a modestly priced orbital polisher that produces just enough torque to get out swirls, unlike all the other buffers sold at Autozone and Wal-Mart.
The Porter Cable is what I have but its not my favorite...too heavy and shakes like hell when you have to set up the higher speeds for de-swirling. And with that much weight you have be careful and hold it firmly with both hands or you'll be at the body shop for some dent repair. You also have to buy the adapter plate so you can use auto detaling pads...point is the PC was not designed for auto detailing like the Flex polisher.

As far as waxes, I guess I'm defaulting to Griot's now that its coveniently found over the counter at Advanced Auto -- no need to spend on shipping or wait for shipping.
I'm no fanboy of particular wax brands, they all have the same basic ingredients you just get a little less bite and concentration with all the other over the counter brands like Turtle Wax. I could prep a car using Meguiars and one using Zaino (or similar boutique brand) and only a realy sharp eye with lots of experience could tell the difference. NAPA carries Duragloss which is just as good as the higher end Meguiars stuff. Honestly if you're going to spend money on anything put the budget towards high quality towels. Most auto stores and Wal-Mart sell the cheap microfiber towels intended for cleaning floors and kitchens. Those over-priced low quality towels will wreck your paint in no time. Try Poorboysworld.com and chemichalguys.com have some pretty good deals on towels.

p.s.
get into the habit of doing rinseless car washes and cleanings with products like Optimum No Rinse. Griots and Meguairs sell no rinse spray washes as well but No Rinse seems to be the most cost effective. Professional detailers use this approach on expensive cars just the same as econo boxes, safe for both. And unless you drive your car through the outback every day a bucket, car wash soap and hose wash is overkill just to remove the typical light coat of dust and dirt. Plenty of YouTube videos on rinseless washing. It's much easier on the paint in the long run.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-14-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #26

So I have been lied to by every single bottle of wax, carwash, polish, and cleaner I have ever used. Dam those swirls and the circular motion instructions.
on another note is it better to use paste or liquid. Liquid is much quicker and that is what I usually use but I might want to try some paste.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #27

I rarely see high carnauba content waxes in liquid form. Those carnauba pastes give you the wettest shine but don't last long unless your car is garaged. Dark/deep colors seem to look better with carnauba paste waxes. Mettalics like silver do equally well with a synthetic which come either liquid wax like Meguairs NXT or a synthetic paste. I favor the liquids like you for this reason. My car is parked outdoors these days so I need the durability of the synthetic. I top with a polymer spray like Finish Kare #425 which keeps the paint surface super slick like teflon for dust to roll off. The towel will glid right acrross the hood if you throw it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-14-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #28
Newb

I have been driving a lot lately and I am still down in the Tennessee mountain area and wanted to give my car a fast cleaning. I always have my kit of towels, cleaners and waxes with me. I went to get out my trusty bottle of Zymol detailer and it was empty. Hit three Auto-Zone, Advanced Auto etc. stores and not one bottle to be had. So I remember reading on this forum of someone raving about Turtle Wax ICE spray wax and Spray Detailer. So I purchased a bottle of each. I clean my car often and was looking to just use detailer but it was a mild day in the 80's and I figured I would give the wax a go since it stated "apply in sun or shade" and "perfect for all exterior surfaces including plastics, black trim and even glass". So I gave it a go and I have to say it was a joy to apply and my ride looked and felt so good after I was just amazed. I could not resist gliding my hand over the surface and looking at the depth of the metal-flake in the Ocean Blue paint. Awesome stuff and thanks to who ever it was on this forum that suggested it. I have been a Zymol fan for years and apply it regularly but since it is based on naturally derived waxes, I do need to do it often. This Turtle Wax product is made with synthetic polymers and expected to last longer. I have not used the detailer yet but I will try that in a few days. BTW, My clear plastic rear window has never looked better and my power windows glide like a brand new car. The wax went on so nice and easy I am wondering if I even needed the detailer. I will update this post when I do.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #29

I've always gotten great results with Zaino products.

I don't have problems with swirls on my car...but I have used Zaino Z-5 Pro on friends's cars to remove swirls - by hand. As others have said you need to be patient and do one section at a time - over time.

Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches: Zaino Store

It's best to follow the Zaino instructions, and use their ZFX Flash Cure Additive. A little Z-5 goes a long way!
ATX_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
jakesbox

Because of this thread I bought the turtle wax ice today. Waxed my car Thursday with mcguires gold and as everyone knows paste wax is a labor of love. I thought i would try a test spot with the ice and before I knew it...15 minutes later had waxed the whole car. Very easy and seems to be a very good wax.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #31

When I bought my Boxster 6 months ago, the PO included the One Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax he used. The car is in mint condition and looks great being 13 years old. And the reviews are pretty solid....

One Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax, 12 oz Jar : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #32

+1 on Zaino. The stuff is a pain to put on but looks great and lasts forever - seriously.
kbiggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
When I bought my Boxster 6 months ago, the PO included the One Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax he used. The car is in mint condition and looks great being 13 years old. And the reviews are pretty solid....

One Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax, 12 oz Jar : Amazon.com : Automotive
I have been using Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax for twelve years on all of my cars. Great stuff.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #34

Insulator Wax » Collinite

That's what my detailer use. May not provide the best shine but super durable. People call this winter wax.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Insulator Wax » Collinite

That's what my detailer use. May not provide the best shine but super durable. People call this winter wax.
+1 for Collinite.

If you really want your car to look like glass, find a paint guy you can trust and have him wet sand your car and polish it. Not cheap, but the result is incredible.

Also +1 on rinseless washing.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #36

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 07:11 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #37

Garage
get a griot's 6" random orbital polisher. then purchase his all in one sealant/protector and an orange polishing pad. read the directions, and go to it. it will look wicked _issa.
Dan