Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

03 s gas gauge question

when i fill up and the pump clicks off,my gauge reads 3/4 full.ive wondered about poor gas mileage and have been thinking that my gauge is not accurate.as it gets low ,computer indicates miles left,but am wondering if that is being triggered by incorrect signal from tank.any ideas?

rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #2

Garage
My '00S does exactly the same thing. Sometimes it "corrects" itself but usually it sits at 3/4 after a fill up. Do a search as this is a common problem and there are several solutions ranging from a diy to having a dealer recalibrate your gauge. It hasn't bothered me enough to do something about it. I've never trusted the miles left on the computer. I just wait until the light comes on.

good luck
sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

ill do search and probably live with it.at least i know im getting better mileage than i thought
Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #4

Garage
I think the problem might actually have to do with the fuel pump nozzle type at the gas station. I noticed that some fuel pumps at gas stations cut off at 3/4 and fuel no more, but some fill up all the way. Whenever I go to a racetrac gas station, it ALWAYS does it at 3/4, but when I go to chevron it fills it all the way. Try a different gas station, and see if that may help.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #5

Garage
Now saaaay... that's a good idea. I've always gone to the same, same, same station..... for like 20 years!

sean
Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #6

went to another gas staion,it filled up 4 more gallons,now gauge is at full.thanks for the tip
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

Garage
Well now I'm definitely going to try this! It just did the 3/4 full thing to me last Sat.

Thanks
sean
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

I have the same issue on my recently purchased 03 S as well. Dealer told me it is a common issue and basically to go slower on the full and don't tilt the nozzle but hold it straight in.... I did that and went to a diff station the other day and I got to full...altho it did click a few times.

Generally I am finding...go slow...let it sit for a second, try again slow... When it gets really clicky probably best to stop. On this last fill I actually overflowed it slightly when I started to pull out the pump...gas ended up draining back into the little hole and I didn't get it all over the side of my car thankfully but it was close. I did end up with a full tank tho... Also watch the gallon meter, the cars have a 16.9 gallon tank so that should help you when filling up to know how much you need...

But yeah... annoying but liveable...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #9

Fill-er up

Same thing happened to me this morning the gas gauge needle stopped little over the 3/4 mark.