Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #21

Eric G, I just get depressed when I think about it, so I think I'll pass on the parts list comparison. I should have practiced far more self control and waited to buy the pre-owned car I really wanted in the first place... A turbo.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #22

Great Car, enjoy !
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #23

Bought my 04 550 SE for cash back in 04 -- no additional costs to date other than tires (lots of tires!) and 15k and 30k service, plus DIY oil change.

Oh wait, not true. I bypassed the 2ndary cats and replaced the muffler last year. About $1600.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #24

Paid cash for both of mine. Then got a loan from the credit union on the 2K S to pay off a couple of other things. Wife makes the payment.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #25
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
Paid cash for both of mine. Then got a loan from the credit union on the 2K S to pay off a couple of other things. Wife makes the payment.
Haha! I bet you really love your wife!?!!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Eric G, I just get depressed when I think about it, so I think I'll pass on the parts list comparison. I should have practiced far more self control and waited to buy the pre-owned car I really wanted in the first place... A turbo.
The only thing that makes my car enjoyable is the guy I bought it from let it go for 5K with 88K miles on it. I love convertibles and the Boxster was a car I wanted since I saw the first one in 97. Being that at the time I saw the new 97's I was a recent grad school graduate and rolling in cash after buying out first home... well you get the picture.

My build list is based on the fact that since I am digging deep into the mountain on some components it just makes good sense to do the other parts as I am there.

Glad my wife loves project cars and see value in spending money on them...otherwise this could end up being painful.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #27

I paid cash for my $57,000 sticker 2000S...

....in 2008 for $15,000!

I like my car and my engine hasn't exploded even once.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #28

Paid the 10k up front July 18, 2011. Almost our one year anniversary. But its been tough not being able to put all the mods I want on her. So far I have spent 1200, a month into the purchase at the dealership because I had little knowledge of the car so I needed them to make sure she was running well. Ended up needing mass air flow sensor, and some electrical disturbances caused by a burnt headlight and some cables. After that I spent 300 on all the major service parts in the winter. So far I think it was a great purchase, but its hard to rack up that money to buy her all the nice jewelry. Still haven't gotten those lug nuts.

Any who it defiantly feels good to know she is yours and till death due us part or something along those lines.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #29

Paid cash for my 2001 Boxster S w/55k mi last week. 11,000 went to the sellers credit union and 3500 to the seller.

Its enriching to own stuff free and clear.

I learned years ago that Credit is the path to misery, spouse fights, stress and living poorly with expensive objects around you.

In the longer term the standard of living goes down for those who borrow and up for those who lend.

Ergo: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer :ah:
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #30

let's see $40K in Apple stock back in 2004 would be worth what today......

Actually if anything I'm glad I bought a second hand Boxster S.
If I'd a bought a more expensive or new Porsche, it would have cost me so much more in investments I wouldn't have made otherwise made.
I'm also glad it (the Boxster) kept me from dumping $40K into a house purchase just as the credit bubble was going nuts.
Easier to sell a car for a typical loss vs. selling a house for a giant kick in the arse loss.

p.s.
Owning the Boxster outright really took the burning desire to take out another car loan.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
The truth is that we never own these cars - they own us. At best we are just caretakers...

I agree totally...once you become a sports car driver nothing is ever the same.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #32

I own my Boxster (02) after a lease and a lease buyback. It is the best feeling in the world to know you worked hard for something, wittling away at the payment.

I am working at paying off a couple of other vehicles, and when that happens, uh oh. Life is too short guys!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #33

I paid for my 02S with cash in October with 64k miles, put about 3k into maintenance/repairs since.......I am still paying on my BMW X3 though, and the Saab will be paid off in 2 months (wifes car) we actually paid the full term of 60 months on that car and put 75k miles on it since buying it in San Diego!!!

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote