Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #21

Proud new owner!!!

Thanks to the everyone who provided their comments (nautiquelfe, zagit, larez2, krztaco, perfectlap, ronzi) and especially Brucelee for coaching me thorugh the PPI. I just needed more feedback before I closed the deal...which I did!!!

So I finally closed the deal on my 2001 Boxter - Yellow, Manual with 33k miles.

Two interesting things came up during the PPI:
1. Apparently there was a rat's nest in the air filter - estimated cost for A/C service and new filter: $500

2. The engine was replaced at the 17k mark. The guy at the dealership said that this was actually a good thing since it meant the engine only had 16k miles on it. It didn't factor into the buying decision.

I wasn't able to negotiate my price down with the seller - he was pretty hardcore about it. However, the dealer mentioned that any damage caused by the rat should be covered under homeowner's insurance (anyone have experience with this?) I figured what the heck - although the guy at the dealership cautioned me on this.

I've got to get a wheel alignment done for the car as well as replace the front tires in the near future. Anyone know of a good place offering a good deal? I'm torn between just taking the car to the dealer or trying to get things done at a cheaper place. Doesn't it affect resale value a lot if you're not doing all of your maintenance at a dealership?

Either way, that's that. I'm very pleased - definitely glad that I didn't get an A4.

Once again, thanks for all of your help!

idjiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #22

You are very welcome. The guys on this forum are great and always willing to help.

I think that using a dealer can makes sense at times. I DO NOT use my local dealer for the simplier things, such as oil changes, filters and even plugs. I have a very good mechanic and of course, keep copies of all invoices etc.

For things that do need a greater level of expertise, I DO use the local dealer. This certainly includes things that involve having to diagnose electrical issues, RMS, trans and engine maladies.

They DO cost more per hour but often they can spend less hours since they really know these cars.

I DON'T think resale value is impacted by using non-dealer services, as long as you keep all of your records.

Best of luck on your new car and please post pix as soon as you can.

Good stuff!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote