Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Driver's Window Gets Tired….

Hi All!

Love the 986, love the forum, got lots of good advice mixed with a few clever posters.

With the help of the articles here I have done quite a few "Boxster Projects" that would otherwise "break the bank". Which begs me to question why 02 Boxster S driver's side window is not cooperating and why it has taken so long to gets around to asking about this problem, so here goes…

When I open the driver's door handle, the window rolls down but when I shut it the door the darn thing does not retract! It makes a nasty noise when it hits the window trim, not to mention just not being right. Then I have to "re-seat" the window by rolling it down fractionally and back up again into the weatherstripping. As I am driving the junk out of the car, the driver's door is getting a LOT of use.*

Is there a fix for this without having to slum down to the dealer? Is it a stuck micro switch somewhere or a simple adjustment?

WD-40 & torx can standing by…..

* I call it "Grin Maintenance". Takes a lot of driving to keep that grin plastered! I call it "Perma-Grin" now.

Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

From your statement, sounds like the window is operating normally. When you pull up on the door handle, the window drops slightly, just as you said yours does. It stays at this slightly lowered level while the door is open and only goes all the way up again when you close the door. Is that what you're experiencing? When you open the door, it drops, but then it stays dropped until you close? If so, since it's catching on the top when you're closing, maybe it needs to be realigned. There's a TSB for that. I believe the renntech forum has it. It could also probably be googled.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Sorry. When you operate the handle the window does indeed go down but it pops back up right away then when you shut the door it closes on the plastic.
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #4

If I remember correctly, it's a failing door switch. It's not sensing the door is still open, thus allowing the window to go back up.

Not that spendy of a part, PITA to replace.

-Dan