Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 04:14 AM   #1

The Boxster as a daily driver???

i replaced my daily driver '04 Audi TT (which I loved and had no problems with) with an '03 Boxster. The agencies service manager assured me that the Boxster would serve me well as my daily driver (50 mi/day) too and from work. It's my dream car and just perfect (Porsche Certified Approved with 12K) - the paint and body work are excellent and I had the "Clear Bra" added at the dealer in addition to the 15K service before delivery. Aside from what appears to be a very minor problem with the top (inner layer has to be slipped back into the windshield header - "10 minute fix") there are no other flaws. QUESTION IS: How does the Boxster perform as a daily driver? I put approximately 15K/year on a car. The car has 4 years of warrantee left (two original and two more Porsche Certified). PS I have used Blitz products and have for years with great satisfaction - very durable wax and shine isn't bad............

tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #2

Talking

You would need to provide your criteria for judgement so that we can weigh in.

How would you evaluate a car as to its worthiness to act as a daily driver?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #3

The Boxster is a fine daily driver. I have an 03 too and put on similar miles per year. The only issue for us is the mileage we put on our cars is far greater than the average Boxster- which means our resale will suffer. As much as the mileage issue is always in the back of my head, it's a joy to drive and puts a smile on my face no matter how rough the work day.

How much was your clear bra? I just took a good stone chip in my bumper and was thinking about getting one if it's reasonable.

Enjoy your Boxster.
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #4

We have a 2000 as a DD, same 50 miles round trip to work. It's been great with few minor problems. Just got the possible major problem at 66K miles, but we'll see once I figure out what it is.

Enjoy!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #5

The clear bra was done by the dealer (Champion Porsche) as part of the negotiation - cost is approximately $600 - and it's well worth it! I've had clear bra on both my last two Audi's and traded them with no stone damage to the front hood or bumpers.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
The clear bra was done by the dealer (Champion Porsche) as part of the negotiation - cost is approximately $600 - and it's well worth it! I've had clear bra on both my last two Audi's and traded them with no stone damage to the front hood or bumpers.
$600? That's a great deal, my dealer wanted $1800
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
$600? That's a great deal, my dealer wanted $1800

$1800 is way too much................my colleague had his '05 SLK 350 done for $500. Look for authorized 3M installers - all of the "clear bra" film is 3M.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
"Just got the possible major problem at 66K miles, but we'll see once I figure out what it is."

John,

Just curious. What is the nature of the problem that you're experiencing? My car is a 2000 also with 67,000 miles.

Thanks,

Derek
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:52 PM   #9

I love mine as a daily driver. As we all know, we get many compliments anywhere we go. My favorite is the Dad with the screaming kids in the back of the minivan looking at the car longingly as I go by with my wife in the passenger seat and a latte in the cup holder. Just the other day a little girl (maybe 7 or 8) came up to me as I was walking into a restaurant and told me "I like your car". Does the P make a great daily driver...You Bet!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #10

The Boxster almost never draws attention from adults in my area anymore... but kids love it. At least once a week there's a kid walking/playing just off the street or in the back seat of an SUV driving alongside that screams out "NICE CAR!" (many times as a chorus) and the parents just hunker down and smile. We wave and smile back.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #11

Do to some bad planning and lack of paying attention, I had to stop and get gas in the really bad part of town at a super crowded wrong side of the tracks gas station. All I got was good attention, although I got asked to buy lots of stuff

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #12

Thumbs up Drive it every day thats the way you do it!

Use mine daily and even in winter. Yes with snow on the ground too! Car handles great no need to baby this monster. I have a soft touch for it and I keep it in the garage of the house other than that we ride every day or night 24/7. In the winter I change for the winter tires since the Pilots are not snow tires at all. Used to drive 2001 Audi S-4 before without a doubt the Boxster is a much nicer ride. Audi did have a nicer interior but handling they are not even in the same planet. Enjoy your car take care of it and it will reward you for many years.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #13

i also drive mine during the winter, and i live in michigan. As a daily driver its fantastic. It brings a smile to my face everytime i get in it. It makes a bad day great.

-andrew
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #14

IMO, any 2 seat convertible is impractical as a daily driver. It's nice that the Boxster has 2 trunks, but it's much less flexible or usable than say a hatch back or compact SUV. You can never take more than 1 passenger safely, and what about all your sports gear and groceries and errands and anything you do on a daily basis? I tested using mine as a daily driver, but it got annoying. Maybe it won't be for you coming from a TT, although you can fit quit a bit of stuff into the back of a TT coupe.

In terms of reliablity, Boxsters are reliable cars when maintained, and since you have a newer one, the liklihoood of a problem is even less. I doubt it will ever keep you stranded with regular maintanence.

Just my .02

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #15

Drive it everyday in Chicago. I just keep the Pirelli P-Zero M+S tires on year round and have never had a problem rain or shine! My Conti's would get slippery in the rain and forget driving in the snow! Groceries...they all fit. Sports gear...all fits. 2 passengers...dont fit and don't want to drive my buddies around all night! Great excuse for not driving everybody around! If you need a bigger car for other "chores" than buy your wife a "nice safe practical car" and you will have the best of all worlds!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:57 AM   #16

Since the a/c went out on my truck, I've been driving my '01 50 miles round trip to work all summer. It's an excellent daily driver. You get spoiled pretty quickly with the handling and power to zip in and out of traffic. 75% of my commute is highway, so it gives me a chance to open it up on a daily basis. I believe that Porsche meant for owners to drive their cars, but the added mileage does effect value when you trade it in or sell. I personally bought mine to drive. I've got 48k on it now. I have the maintenance performed per Porsche's recommendations (I get the oil changed twice as often as they recommend), and I wash it every week whether it needs it or not. Wax it monthly. Still looks great, always starts, and the looks from others on the road are just an added bonus.

:dance:

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote