Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #1

Kenwood Sub behind the seat

Check this out. Kenwood makes a subwoofer that is pretty thin. My 1999 boxster did not come with the compartment behind the headreat. it is just carpet and a net.

Do you guys know the dimensions of the space behind the seats where the rear speaker kit would go.

I am thinking of getting this Kenwwood Powered sub and putting it rioght behind the seats. Is this good place to put it. It seems if I put it in the front trunk I will lose bottom end and defintion.
thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #2

someone else inquired about this and you should do a search on it on this forum. I think you'll find there is ZERO room behind the seats unless you are 4 foot 10 and have your seat pulled up all the time.

Moreover, this powered subwoofer, placed behind your seat or the passenger seat, might give you some kick in the pants with a bass increase, but it ain't gonna provide an adequate sound replacement for the speakers behind your head in the rear storage compartment when the top is down.

You can add speakers in the back where the storage compartment goes for cheap if you can find some surface speakers that fit. Radio Shack probably has some, and that'll save you $$$ on a used storage box off ebay and then the speaker kit.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Actaully I was talking about the rear storage compartment. Sorry for the confusion. There is no room behind the seat. I was thinkinig of putting it in the rear storage department. Otherwise I would have to put it in the front trunk.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #4

Ok, I see what you're attempting to do now. I guess you could try it, but since the speaker will be pointing up toward your folded top, I bet it won't have much midrange or high range sound coming out of it with the top down. You'd certainly hear the bass though.

You've got about 4 vertical inches to play with back there.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Ok, I see what you're attempting to do now. I guess you could try it, but since the speaker will be pointing up toward your folded top, I bet it won't have much midrange or high range sound coming out of it with the top down. You'd certainly hear the bass though.

You've got about 4 vertical inches to play with back there.
It's a subwoofer, so you shouldn't be running any mids and highs through it anyways. Bass is non-directional so orientation shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, I never thought the door bins were lacking for bass, unless you're after the big boom. My problem with Boxster sound has always been tinny highs and weak low-mids.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #6

Hi,
The car I have has no door speakers so the speakers are only from the dash. you hear very minimal bass. I am not neccesarrily looking for that big boomy sound. I just don't want to rip up my doors right now. I figured a subwoofer back there would do the job
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 AM   #7

Ahh, there I go again assuming everyone has the door speakers!

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote