Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005, 05:41 AM   #1

Buying a 1999 boxster

I know i have talked aboutthis already. I am going to get a 1999 boxster because it is in my budget. I tried to find a 2000 and up but they are out of my range. I am about to buy a 1999 Boxster with 55k Miles. It is amazing condition. I did a carfax and there were no accident. I had Porsche send me the maitanace records. The ignition problem was fixed and replaced. A recall with the top convertible was replaced. A couple of minor headlight issues were fixed.
Carfax says the first time the car was sold was Sept 1999.
What is the deal with the engine failures in these cars. I hear it was from 1997-1999 first half. Does anybody have a list of vin# that the engines fail on. Should this be something for me to be concerned on buying a 1999 model. the engine problem scares the crap out of me. I did ask a mechanic at porsche. he felt that most of the major problems usually happen between purchase ans 25000 miles.

Also how many engines died inn boxsters. is it an exaggeration or are ther 50% of boxster where the engine died.

Sometimes in life things become Carrier than they are , like an airplane. Airplanes are the most feared transportation but they are the safest.
thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #2

A list of engine vin #s is something you'll never see. PCNA is still not owning up to the problem. The build date is the important thing. October '98-March '99 I would personally stay away from. If I can find the Panorama magazine article explaining it I'll send it to you

I'll be working on mine all day so I'll look around and see if anything is date stamped.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #3

Talking

Strongly suggest you have a PPI done and given it is a 99, I would have compression and leak down tests done.

If there is any issue with engine internals at present, these tests should find it.

If it were me, I would keep shopping for a 2000. Winter is coming and prices will fall.

Good luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #4

I gotta agree with Richard (Brucelee). I bought a 97 instead of waiting for the 2000 S I really wanted and now it's too late to trade up. I've dropped 6k into my old boxster and wish I had waited a year or two and bought a newer one with a 3.2 in it, not the older one I now have with a 2.5 (or a 2.7).

Good things come to those that wait!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #5

Joji,
What I ascertained from this message board and others is similar to what your mechanic said, if the engine from those years was going to fail it failed early on. Otherwise it was fine. I read about a owners that were just stopped at a light or just started their box up and poof cylinder sleeve busted up and engine got toasted - the thing in common with all of those was low mileage, and they weren't pushing the engine hard. I also read of some engines from 97-99 messing up with higher mileage, but those (one fairly recent on this board) was basically while the dude was red lining it.

I personally think the 97-99 engine thing is like your airplane anology. It happened to far fewer people than one might think.

Anytime you buy a used car you are taking a chance, heck even buying a new car can be risky with the few lemons that are out there. Point is, if you've done your homework, just try not to worry about it. Maybe getting an extended warranty will help quell your worries....

It sounds like you have done all your due diligence and you have a good car lined up. Whether you get that one or not, I hope you end up with a Porsche soon, they are great fun and a blast to own. Good luck.

cheers,
Larez

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote