Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #1

Alarm error beep

Hi all

I have recently become the owner of a 2002 Boxster S and am loving it.

There are a few questions that I have and am hoping that someone might be able to advise me on some of these.

The first one I have concerns my alarm. When I lock the car and arm the alarm with the Porsche key fob, everything locks but most times there is an additional beep a few seconds after pushing the button. I understand that this is not normal. Any idea what might be causing it and what is the solution?

Many thanks in advanced.

Dylan.

Dyladams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This means that something is not locking correctly. Every time this happens to me, its because the center console bin is not completely latched.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #3

particle is correct. generally it means something is not "secured":
- center console
- doors
- front and rear trunk
- convertible top lock
- radio
- glove compartment (if applicable)
- passenger compartment (door not completely closed)

also, make sure you press the lock button only once. pressing it twice locks the car but deactivates the infrared sensor and emits a short beep.

if the system were faulty, it would beep twice, so as long as you hear one beep (and then see the red flashing light on the dash) your system is working but something's not closed.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Thanks all for the input. Will have a quick look tonight when I get home as I suspect the centre console might be the guilty party as it was not closed property last time I used it.

This brings me onto another question.... I understand that with the roof open, the passenger compartment sensors are deactivated. There is this clip I saw on the Internet that fits into the roof latch that then activates the sensors when the roof is open. Is this correct / possible or just a waste to time/ money / effort?

Once again thanks for the input!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

i (and a lot of other members of this forum, i believe) use the "red clip" (pedro sells an orange clip if you prefer) and it works fine. i don't use it if i'm leaving the car for a long time in the open. but if i put the top down and want to head into 7-11 or make a quick 5 minute stop, then it's in there.

essentially presses down on the latch sensor so the car thinks the top is up. so far i've not had any erroneous alarms go off as the result of a leaf or bird flying nearby...
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

In my experieince with trying to solve the single beep of the alarm problem, it can be hard to find out exactly what part of the car isn't locking properly because they all are closed and latched as far as I can possibly tell but the single beep continues.

On the other hand, the red clip works great for leaving the top open and alarmed for short periods of time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

Well it worked!!!

The centre console box was slightly open. Closed it properly so that seems to have done the trick.

The red clip has now been ordered.... My first mod. So I guess the playing begins.