Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Quick question, is there a difference between AUDI and PORSCHE coolant??

I remember buying coolant for my boxster a while back and at the porsche dealer they gave me pink audi coolant and said its the same thing.

i called them up to see the pricing because i want to do one more coolant flush. and now they have a "new" coolant called the "Porsche Coolant". Same type, same pink color double the price.

Is there really a difference?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
2001 RUF 3800S

Called suncoast just to see what was up and they say audi changed their coolant and added more additives to it? therefore its not safe to use it for the porsches now.

sounds like a bunch of marketing bull**************** to me.

i hate being jerked around (unless...)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

The most probable answer is no one really knows for sure (your really can’t go on just the color). Porsche is famous for using unique fluids in their cars that they have formulated specifically for them. Problems with mixing incompatible coolants are well known and often come up on websites. In reality, if the system is completely drained and clean, you could probably use just about any coolant formulated for alloy engines; the only potential problem is when someone else touches the system. Many independents, as well as most dealers, automatically assume you have the OEM coolant in the car and will top off the system with the OEM coolant; which is fine as long as what is in the car in not already incompatible with the Porsche coolant. If it is, you have a mess on your hands. This is exactly why we only top off cars we have no history on with distilled water; we cannot afford to take the risk that the system will gel. As we have also found the OEM coolant to be an excellent product, we use it exclusively when we service the systems. It works well, lives a long time, and is really not all that expensive if you search out a reasonable source instead of the local dealer.

So if no one else touches the car but you, and the system is completely drained, you will probably be fine.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

If you're flushing the coolant out, refill with a decent quality modern coolant of your choosing. There are several that are actually Porsche approved.

I use COMMA - Xstream G30 which has approval.

There's nothing special about these engines that requires exotic coolant. It's just a badge tax.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
If you're flushing the coolant out, refill with a decent quality modern coolant of your choosing. There are several that are actually Porsche approved.

I use COMMA - Xstream G30 which has approval.

There's nothing special about these engines that requires exotic coolant. It's just a badge tax.
At $8 a quart, I think I'll save money and use the OEM product...........and the product is only "approved" for 1995-1996 Porsches..........