Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Are the newer Boxsters just too high-tech looking ? Opinions ?

This is the original Concept Boxster. I appreciate the 981. It must be a marvelous machine. Power, handling, comfort, technology...everything. But I can't help but
feel something has been lost along the way from the original. Even our cars are
someout of a departure from the original. Eh, progress I guess.

I guess I just like that cross between Vintage and Exotic more than just Exotic or
Exotic and High-Tech.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

And I was thinking about saving up for one of the new Boxsters. I think they look great.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Yup, the original concept is the best looking Boxster - simple, compact, clean lines. Took a few pictures of it myself at the Porsche museum last summer.

For my money, the early 986 remains not only the truest to the concept, but also the best looking Box for two main reasons:

1. Clean, uncluttered lines, latter cars get fussier and fussier
2. It looks relatively small and sports car-y. The 987 is only slightly bigger, but looks much, much bigger. The 981 looks almost Merc SL-like in size.

The 986 isn't quite as pretty as the concept, but it's a lot closer that many people seem to think, in my view.

Tell you what, the concept has aged well. Still looks very fresh. Not bad for a 20-year-old effort.

Last edited by pothole; 04-06-2012 at 01:49 PM.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #4

The original concept is just stunning. Especially in that Silver and red combo....

DAMN.

I've got silver on black and am considering doing something with the seats in red (not the rust
colored Boxster Red either but RED). Also a red leather steering wheel cover.

The original concept version (and to a lesser degree) our 986's just look like a car from a
different era. More reminicent of the 718 RS60 Spyder and the 550 Spyder.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Ex Esso kid

I may not be objective but even during my research I thought this was the closest to the 550

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

The Spyder is lovely, but I can't say I think it remotely resembles the 550. Not even close. It does its own thing and does it really well.

@jdiba

The interior of the concept is rust coloured Boxster Red.

Personally, I think an early 986 in silver with Boxster Red leather is the definitive Boxster, from an aesthetic point of view. And yup, I agree, there's something a bit Art Deco about the concept and also (but as you say, to a lesser extent) the 986.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

Garage
The concept boxster is stunning; even a design roughly 20 years ago still looks innovative today! As for me I like the first generation boxster the most. The 987 and 987.2's headlights look too streamlined losing the front look's personality. The new 2012 Boxster looks like something Chrysler would make? (not a good thing or bad thing, just something I think). Of course, everyone has their opinion. I still however, would like to take it for a spin!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Too bad Porsche keeps moving further away from the original concept. They got it exactly right the first time!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #9

I'm not a fan of the later dashboards
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
The Spyder is lovely, but I can't say I think it remotely resembles the 550. Not even close. It does its own thing and does it really well.

@jdiba

The interior of the concept is rust coloured Boxster Red.

Personally, I think an early 986 in silver with Boxster Red leather is the definitive Boxster, from an aesthetic point of view. And yup, I agree, there's something a bit Art Deco about the concept and also (but as you say, to a lesser extent) the 986.

Pothole, the 550 was a lightened race car for the street in that regard they are remarkably similar, drive one for yourself and check it out. Even Klaus Lierderhosen or whoever that was from Porsche says so on a promo, then again they like trotting out the 550 to sell any Boxster.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 04-07-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Pothole, the 550 was a lightened race car for the street in that regard they are remarkably similar, drive one for yourself and check it out. Even Klaus Lierderhosen or whoever that was from Porsche says so on a promo, then again they like trotting out the 550 to sell any Boxster.
I've driven several Spyders - like I said, truly fabulous cars, but I can't say they're anything like race cars. They're not really even like track cars. They're very comfortable and refined. They're great on track, don't get me wrong, they're just nothing like a caged, stripped out track or race car.

Back when the 550 was around, the lines between road and track were a lot more blurred, anyway.

And like you say, Porsche routinely ties the Boxster to the 550 - they went heavy when the original 2.5 model launched.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

There is never going to be a "stripped out" legal road car in the US that is not an antique and as such only subject to the safety equipment of it's day.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #13

You say, that, but something like a GT3 RS has much more of a road racer feel and specification than the Spyder.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
You say, that, but something like a GT3 RS has much more of a road racer feel and specification than the Spyder.

Yeah and at nealry no additional cost to the buyer.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Yeah and at nealry no additional cost to the buyer.
Sure. All I'm saying is that the whole racing / 550 link is basically marketing bollocks. The Spyder is a fantastic car, period. It doesn't need spurious links to long dead models or bull**************** about it being a race car for the road. It's not a race car or a 550. It's just a brilliant, brilliant sports car.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #16
2005, Tiptronic

For 40 years I've been a daily motorcycle rider, so cars weren't something I sought out for an adrenaline\performance fix. In the past, I saw cars as nothing more than transportation. They should be dependable, purpose-built, and practical. However, the Boxster is one of the very few cars I've ever wanted to own.

There is just something about it. Other cars are faster, more luxurious, more dependable, etc - but the Boxster had that je ne sais quoi. However, not enough to get me to pony-up for it. I could get three bikes for that (which I sort of did through the years).

My point (finally), is that I agree with the OP. I have no doubt that the 981 is an awesome machine. However, when I decided to jump into the Boxster world, I went with a gently used 987 because that's the style I wanted. To me, the 981 has a sort of everycar look. Side scoops from an early 2000s Mustang, headlights from a newer Corvette, and a rear end that has an Eclipse feel.

I suppose if I continue in the Porsche vein for several years, I'll keep seeking out used 986s or 987s. Just not digging the 981.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Too bad Porsche keeps moving further away from the original concept. They got it exactly right the first time!
The original concept was the right size and looked beautiful. It grew a foot and it mostly went to front end overhang with the 986. Which to my eyes makes it awkward looking. The GT3 front bumpers only serve to exaggerate the issue.

I was very much looking forward to the new smaller sports car, hoping it would be something similar to the '93 concept or even my MKII MR2, but unfortunately, it looks like that's not going to happen.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote