Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
you need an orbital buffer that will produce enough torque to de-swirl.
I rarely see these at autostores. Try autogeek.net
He is right. I have a decent Hitachi buffer and one from Harbor Freight and the harbor Freight one is great and has lasted 4 years and numerous cars. Try Wizards Final cut and some Zymol, that will do it.

amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #62

Garage
Just got done installing a short shifter today! The difference is AMAZING! At first I thought I wasted money and would not even be able to complete the installation, but it was well worth it. I think the only complaint you will find thought is that it makes the shifter look a bit less oem- it is positioned to the left in neutral but I park my car in reverse gear to make it look flush.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianfar View Post
Well the first mod arrived so far.
Nice PAM...!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
That's it . Between yesterday's attack and this one, I'm calling the Abuse Hot-line ! Anyone have the number ?
No kidding. If a sticker adds 10hp to a civic, it's at least 15hp to a boxster
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #65

Lightbulb Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Ferry Porsche once had a custom made, one of a kind, 2.7 Carrera .. What was on the doors?

PORSCHE decals.
It would seem then that you would have to put your own name under the door.
Sumflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Adding a Porsche crest 3D badge to the steering wheel. Makes it look 100x better than the non colored embossed 2d logo!

Replacing yellow side indicators with clear/ clear corners with headlights/ black or darkened amber turn indicators.

Also taking out front spare wheel and tool set/replacing with fix a flat bottle. 30 Pound weight reduction and free if you don't put in fix a flat!
Where did u find the steering wheel logo?
Sweezy804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Just got done installing a short shifter today! The difference is AMAZING! At first I thought I wasted money and would not even be able to complete the installation, but it was well worth it. I think the only complaint you will find thought is that it makes the shifter look a bit less oem- it is positioned to the left in neutral but I park my car in reverse gear to make it look flush.
Did you flip the lever around first?
Also, unhook the outer of the left/right cable at the back of the shifter, position the lever straight up, and reconnect it.
Hagu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #68

Garage
So far, I've only done some aesthetic mods.

I got a set of LED DRL headlights, but they weren't cheap at almost a grand. I love the way they look and work though. I had to bridge the marker light fuses to the seat heater one so they are on as DRL, since the car doesn't have the harness for doing them properly.

I also got a set of smoke LED taillights and a smoke LED third brake light. Those two aren't nearly as costly as the headlights, and they look awesome.

My car is a 2001 base, but it has S wheels on it, which also look much better. They were on it when I bought it. What I did to them was plastidip them in black. They look great, and one of these days I may fork out the dinero to get them powder coated. So far, the Plastidip has been on them for about two years with no issues.

I've also bought a small wing spoiler to replace the stock one. It's one of those small ones that will still raise and lower just as the stock one does, but when down, it has a lip more like the newer models. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. It cost a little over $100 on ebay. It's the same as the one they have on the yellow car in the youtube video titled "Porsche Boxster Hamann Body Kit Install."

I'm looking at doing some performance mods next. I'm thinking de-snorkel and Catback exhaust. I don't mind a little noise.
Tweetdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #69

Best performance mod is you. Learn to drive fast. Until you can drive your car at it's limit, any mechanical mod is pretty much wasted money. Local PCA should have both performance driving and car control schools for not much money. Either/both will make the mechanical changes you make more entertaining and cost effective.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #70
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 at least. I am definitely the weak link in my car/driver relationship.

Our PCA chapter is hosting an A/X at AAA Speedway (Fontana, CA) June 30th. We will have both SCCA and PCA trained driving instructors there that will work with you for free.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-rsr-ocr-autocross-june-2019-auto-club-speedway-riverside-866206

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Best performance mod is you. Learn to drive fast. Local PCA should have both performance driving and car control schools for not much money.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #71
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Learn to drive fast. Until you can drive your car at it's limit, any mechanical mod is pretty much wasted money.
While I agree with the initial sentiment, I wouldn't think the mods are "wasted money". To me, mods are fun. That's part of the joy of ownership.
And from experience: it doesn't take long to get to "the limit" at the track with the boxster. (If we define that as the point at which you really need to start modifying suspension, tires and brakes, oil sump, etc. Etc)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #72

hands down , short shifter

02m2 is offline   Reply With Quote