Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #1

Garage
What would Shakespeare Say ?

What would Shakespeare say regarding the IMS issue ?

To replace ... or not to replace ... that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubled IMS bearings. And by opposing it ? To die: to sleep; No more; and by a sleep to say we end ; The heart-ache of IMS failure .

Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

Garage
What would Ferdinand Porsche say??

Ferdinand Porsche Quotes - BrainyQuote

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #3

Clearly, this has been at the top of your mind for a while.

Question to ask yourself - is the ~$2k worth regaining (some of) your sanity?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

He'd think something along that "Better three hours too soon than a minute too late."

lollll
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

And my Indy would say something along that: "A rebuilt engine is a fraction of the price of a new car, its not about a fixing what's not broken issue, its about making a decision"

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

I want some of that weed you are on....

E tu Brut...

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Clearly, this has been at the top of your mind for a while.

Question to ask yourself - is the ~$2k worth regaining (some of) your sanity?
How doth one know this ?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

"Out, damned IMSB! Out, I say!"

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
My guess would be;

1. Find the engineer that came up with this design and ******************** slap him

2. Find the best engineered way to fix the problem

3. Go out and repair the cars and the damaged reputation they've done to his name
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:

Ferdinand's favorite Porsche ? Do you know ?
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

I say if it's broke just fix it!:dance:
Boxster Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #12

He who hesitates is lost......
Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #13

Garage
Tis a sad indictment indeed that we are haunted every day and every night by the oily black demons, the hell hounds of all bearingdom, nay tis not the jabberwocke nor Krakken we fear, it doth not drink our blood nor feast upon our bones but instead inflicts a far more brutal punishment for it steals the very joy away from us that we dost employ upon the track and road and its name dost strike fear into the hearts of mid level managers across the globe...I, M, S Bearing...
Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
My guess would be;

1. Find the engineer that came up with this design and ******************** slap him

2. Find the best engineered way to fix the problem

3. Go out and repair the cars and the damaged reputation they've done to his name

My guess would be the engineers told management the design was weak. The true people to find and fry are the bean counters at the company. Bring each unit to market at xyz price, even if that means ignoring the engineers and crossing fingers. Building anything the best way and keeping it profitable seldom have a nexus. As for the numbers thread, regardless of how many engines blew up, when one does and a customer complains about it, stonewalling is a poor response, their customer care must be run by Heinrich Himmler.

PS To rip Robin W, Look, your IMS like a testicle hangs low in the sky. If I still had my 986 I'd just replace the IMS every clutch job.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 02-18-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Tis a sad indictment indeed that we are haunted every day and every night by the oily black demons, the hell hounds of all bearingdom, nay tis not the jabberwocke nor Krakken we fear, it doth not drink our blood nor feast upon our bones but instead inflicts a far more brutal punishment for it steals the very joy away from us that we dost employ upon the track and road and its name dost strike fear into the hearts of mid level managers across the globe...I, M, S Bearing...
We have a bardolator on the forum !
Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310;278716 My guess would be[I
the engineers told management the design was weak[/I]. The true people to find and fry are the bean counters at the company. Bring each unit to market at xyz price, even if that means ignoring the engineers and crossing fingers. Building anything the best way and keeping it profitable seldom have a nexus. As for the numbers thread, regardless of how many engines blew up, when one does and a customer complains about it, stonewalling is a poor response, their customer care must be run by Heinrich Himmler.

PS To rip Robin W, Look, your IMS like a testicle hangs low in the sky. If I still had my 986 I'd just replace the IMS every clutch job.
Ghostrider,

The bean counters didn't design the bearing, the engineers did! They should have done their stress analysis to come up with the MTBF (mean time between failure) models. Those models would have produced numbers showing an inferior design through premature breakdown and failure. At that time only the prototypes would have been produced and cost would have been low to redesign.

I would think a roller bearing over a ball bearing to distribute all the stress and handle the high speeds the IMS encounters. Think about it, the surface (and pin point pressure) of a ball bearing in contact with the race vs. the surface of a cylindrical bearing and the distribution it can achieve...duh!

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-18-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
What would Shakespeare say regarding the IMS issue ?

Nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Ghostrider,

The bean counters didn't design the bearing, the engineers did! They should have done their stress analysis to come up with the MTBF (mean time between failure) models. Those models would have produced numbers showing an inferior design through premature breakdown and failure. At that time only the prototypes would have been produced and cost would have been low to redesign.

I would think a roller bearing over a ball bearing to distribute all the stress and handle the high speeds the IMS encounters. Think about it, the surface (and pin point pressure) of a ball bearing in contact with the race vs. the surface of a cylindrical bearing and the distribution it can achieve...duh!

Jax,

I worked on design teams in the fortune 100. I saw how it worked across business lines and at three powerhouse companies during my career. Profit is always the main objective, profit improvement as well. Many were the times millions was spent correctly in application of a beautiful modification. Just as many times, correct fixes and accurate predictions of imminent failure before launch were ignored in the classic American business paradigm of "damn the glitches, we'll repair them in the field on the fly and bless them as ongoing modifications". It was also frequently true that 100% remedies were avoided in cost containment, with those very decisions being made by the holders of the purse.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 02-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Jax,

I worked on design teams in the fortune 100. I saw how it worked across business lines and at three powerhouse companies during my career. Profit is always the main objective, profit improvement as well. Many were the times millions was spent correctly in application of a beautiful modification. Just as many times, correct fixes and accurate predictions of imminent failure before launch were ignored in the classic American business paradigm of "damn the glitches, we'll repair them in the field on the fly and bless them as ongoing modifications". It was also frequently true that 100% remedies were avoided in cost containment, with those very decisions being made by the holders of the purse.
So is that the real reason American quality and the state of the economy is the way it is? Not spending the extra money it takes to get it right?

Bad reputations take years to repair, and sometimes thats not long enough.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
he'd say what he said: "The perfect racing car crosses the finish line first and subsequently falls into its component parts."