Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #1

Convertible top and the extended warranty my story

Hi,

This is in continuation to my previous posts. I just got done paying $1578 for fixing the transmission on the convertible, of which $750 was for labor, which I find very very excessive.

Anyway, I asked the service manager and he asked me to call Porsche (1-800 Porsche) to get a copy of the contract. I don't know what recourse I have now, the top was half way up when the cable snapped. It was raining all of this past week in chicago. I had to get it fixed ASAP.

This is the reason why I rushed into fixing it. Also I did not have access to a good covered parking area till today (just got it).

Thanks
KZ

kzaveri82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #2

I had to have my top transmission replaced as well, and that's very close to what I was quoted. Luckily mine was covered under the original factory warranty.

That was one of the things I specifically asked about when I called Warranty Direct about an extended warranty. They told me it was covered.

I hope you get your money back out of it.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #3

Exclamation i have to pay for top repairs

as i mention in the perf. thread my convertible top lid is stuck one inch open.
creating a gap between truck and third brake light. dealer said needs to be forced open? causing more damage its the only way to open to diagnose. possible gonna spend like you folks ~1500 plus damages created while forcing open. do you have any ideas before i go back to dealer. did they have to force yours open. thanks folks i appreciate your time and advice during this difficult time.
jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #4

When they sold you this car I assume it was a Porsche CPO car? If so, you should still have the window sticker that came on the side of the car? If so, check what it says carefully and if you would be so kind, either post a photo of it or recreate the words.

If this is all they gave you and it implies or states what is covered, you may be in luck!

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzaveri82
Hi,

This is in continuation to my previous posts. I just got done paying $1578 for fixing the transmission on the convertible, of which $750 was for labor, which I find very very excessive.

Anyway, I asked the service manager and he asked me to call Porsche (1-800 Porsche) to get a copy of the contract. I don't know what recourse I have now, the top was half way up when the cable snapped. It was raining all of this past week in chicago. I had to get it fixed ASAP.

This is the reason why I rushed into fixing it. Also I did not have access to a good covered parking area till today (just got it).

Thanks
KZ
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #5

No Window sticker, but I will look for the sales invoice, it says that they certified it.

Thanks
KZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
When they sold you this car I assume it was a Porsche CPO car? If so, you should still have the window sticker that came on the side of the car? If so, check what it says carefully and if you would be so kind, either post a photo of it or recreate the words.

If this is all they gave you and it implies or states what is covered, you may be in luck!

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #6

glass top replacement

I own a 2001 Boxster and I was thinking about replacing the top with glass... My service advisor said that it would cost a lot, and I'm thinking how much? any ideas are good, thanks =)
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:53 AM   #7

You can fine aftermarket replacement tops with glass for under $1000 plus installation costs.

It would cost many thousands to redo your top with a Porsche top as the frame needs to be replaced also.

Do a search here and you will find many posts about this subject.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #8

The cost is not justifiable. I thought about it too. But I got the Litronics instead for $750 on eBay and installed them myself.

Thanks
KZ