Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Porsche Club of America - Feedback?

I wanted to get feedback from the forum if membership is of value with them. I understand that they also have a technical forum, but am not clear if that forum is any different or better than this one.

I live in the Los Angeles area and also did not see any upcoming events on their calendar.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Like most things, it kind of depends on what you're looking for. My local region in the San Grabriel Valley area isn't the most active but they do have monthly breakfasts, rally's, new car intro's, and technical and repair clinics. For example, I just got an invite this morning with an opportunity to test drive the new 991.

The good news is that you can attend almost any event from another region so if your local region isn't hosting something that you like to do, there is a good chance that another region in LA/OC is.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
The Inland NW division is pretty active with events, runs, coffee's and gatherings... but I have to say I enjoy the discussions on here as being more engaging. PCA membership worth the money, 986Forum worth the information and people.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Garage
CPA is very active 5 to 6 autocrosses per year. They offer a $5 discount per event to members. I also believe the PCA HPDE's are discounted to members. We have a breakfast the second Saturday every month. Summer shrimp feast. Holiday Party. Porsche only swap at Hershey park. The calender stays up with about 2 event every month. WWW.cpa-pca.org
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

The question I'd ask is, what do you want from the PCA?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

their technical forum is useless: I posted two questions and was supposed to get a response within two weeks. In both incidents I never got any kind of response
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

I asked the same question not too long ago. Definitely worth it to join for the year and see if it is for you. My group is very, very active with things going on monthly. Your chapter may vary. I would think L.A. would be very active.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

I have been a member since 1988 and have found it to be very helpful and fun. I personally have been organizing events for our Hudson Valley Region for awhile now and have been getting great satisfaction from it. Why not join and see what is going on? Maybe you can organize some events yourself. Since our region did not have a lot of things going on that I enjoyed I decided to produce them myself and it has been a lot of fun. You can always cancel your membership if it doesn't do anything for you so I suggest "have a go" at it as our Brit brethren would say.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #9

I joined when I first got the Boxster, hoping to find some local technical expertise. Unfortunately, no-one seemed to know much, mechanically, about their cars, and the club "expert" gave me wrong answers three times in a row, so now when I need to know something I just come here. I also have issues with the Canadian chapters being "second class citizens" in what is essentially an American club. I've ranted at length about this in another post. I rarely find anything of interest in the monthly magazine, in fact I would actually prefer they not even bother sending it.

The only reason I keep a membership is that it gives me a 15% discount at the local dealer, and it saves me way more than the cost of the membership each year.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I also have issues with the Canadian chapters being "second class citizens" in what is essentially an American club.

You're a second class citizen in that "club" because your car isn't air-cooled...

/

Last edited by fatmike; 01-30-2012 at 05:44 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
2006 987

Garage
I joined for the first time last year and went to my first dinner meeting this month.

Wife and I had a blast, it was great finally meeting other Porsche enthusiasts in person.

There's also local parades the club's invited to and they're always looking for more convertibles to participate.

I'm going to try and attend everything they do this year.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

From where I sit, I belong only to get the 2 magazines that come out every month. Beyond that I have never been to any event or function hosted by them.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #13

I dont even get my regions newsletter/magazine, I guess my name never got to them lol. I dont go to the events, my wife and I dont really "fit in" with other P-car owners, although I might take my tattoo'd and pierced self to the Auto-x practice day and I do want to go to a track day.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
I dont even get my regions newsletter/magazine, I guess my name never got to them lol. I dont go to the events, my wife and I dont really "fit in" with other P-car owners, although I might take my tattoo'd and pierced self to the Auto-x practice day and I do want to go to a track day.
I throw the Panorama out right away almost every time. I don't get much out of it. The driving events are totally worth it for me. If you see a guy driving a red second gen MR2 at any of the events, stop and say hi.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
I just joined PCA 2 weeks ago. I am looking foward to see how it pans out. I am still not sure what region I will be in yet as we live in Casper, Wyoming.
1985 Mazda RX-7 2001 SCCA Las Vegas Region Pro7 Car
2002 Limited Edition Ford Thunderbird and 7 horses.
TopSide Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
If you are in the greater LA area you have lots of choices. This is my home region which is very active with typically 4 events per month.
GPX Southern California Region Porsche Club of America

The Grand Prix Region is known for performance driving events, great tours to museums and weekend destinations, and a large group of vintage Porsche restorers. For specific info on your Boxster model I think 986forum, Renntech, and Mike Focke, are the best sources. If you come out to our Saturday breakfast this week, look for me and I will introduce you around.

Last edited by Topless; 01-29-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote