Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #1

SoCal Get Together

There was some talk here a few weeks ago about those of us in Southern California getting together but the conversation sorta petered out. So I'd like to suggest a get together and caravan from Laguna Beach up to Newport/Balboa. Anyone interested? Maybe July 30 - meet at the Ruby's south of Laguna Beach and cruise up PCH. How 'bout it?

Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
There was some talk here a few weeks ago about those of us in Southern California getting together but the conversation sorta petered out. So I'd like to suggest a get together and caravan from Laguna Beach up to Newport/Balboa. Anyone interested? Maybe July 30 - meet at the Ruby's south of Laguna Beach and cruise up PCH. How 'bout it?
Sorry, I never followed-up on any of that.

Is that drive more of a "cruise" or is there actually any fun in that road?
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #3

If there's "fun" in terms of speed, then count my speedy yellow box in!
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #4

I am in. Details??????????? What time to meet, where etc.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #5

That sounds great, you can count me in!

The drive is a cruise ride over a medium crowded road, but its a beautiful scene over the PCH.

Also, between Laguna and Newport on PCH is Crystal Cove. There is a shopping mall there (Trader Joes, Pier 1, Gap) where all the supercars convene every Saturday morning between 7am and 830am or so. I would suggest we meet there at around 8am and stack a row of Boxsters behind the Lambos and Ferraris!
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #6

I'm missing out. Still not a Boxster owner. Maybe I should rent a Z4 for the day and let you take turns blowing past me.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #7

LOL, I'm just a newbie here and not such a good organizer, but would it be more impressive if all of us entered the Crystal Cove mall together? So perhaps we could meet somewhere else (like the Ruby's I mentioned) and then make a real entrance ensemble.

I'll suggest 7:30 AM Saturday, July 29th. What do you guys think?

Yes, it would just be a cruise up PCH with little chance to open up - although it seems to me there are some fun roads a bit inland, maybe around Newport Coast?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #8

Talking

"Also, between Laguna and Newport on PCH is Crystal Cove. There is a shopping mall there (Trader Joes, Pier 1, Gap) where all the supercars convene every Saturday morning between 7am and 830am or so. I would suggest we meet there at around 8am and stack a row of Boxsters behind the Lambos and Ferraris!"

I like this idea a lot!

Can I bring a 911 as I don't currently have a Box!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #9

Sounds good but holy crap that's early in the morning, especially on a Saturday!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #10

Good point on the time. Isn't the PCH fogged-in at that time of day?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #11

It is early. But I thought you guys wanted to get to Crystal Cove when the Ferrari guys were there. I'm open to any time you like, although it looks like Aug. 6 would work better for me. Is that OK with you guys?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #12

Alert the media !!!

I'm all in.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:26 AM   #13

All the cars converge right in front of the Starbucks, so you can get your fix there.

I know its crazy early, I've been meaning to go there for 6 months now and only made it once.

PS Doesn't the Saturday fall on July 30th?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #14

If it's in August and on a weekend I may be down in Mexico racing a car, but other than that I'm interested.

Six in the morning is Cruel and Unusual Punishment though...
Old 07-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #15

Lightbulb crystal cove

im in. just one thing, anyone know cross streets, interstate and off ramp closest to the cove? this will be a fine time to use those business cards.
jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #16

Hey Eslai, fantastic looking Evo you have there! I had a red one, and even loving my red Boxster S, the Evo still has a nice chunk of my heart's real state.
But, putting the top down on the PCH always make me forget things...
bzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #17

Can someone summarize a proposal here, ie data, time, exact address (for map quest purposes) and course?

I want to lock it in!

Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 06:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Can someone summarize a proposal here, ie data, time, exact address (for map quest purposes) and course?
The drive on PCH between Laguna Beach and Corona del Mar is scenic for cruising, but I'm not sure you'll have much opportunity to open up the throttle. For another nearby open stretch, you also might want to climb the Newport Coast Road, turn around at the top and come back down to PCH.

For Mapquest, the address of the Starbucks in the Crystal Cove Promenade is 7957 E Pacific Coast Highway, Newport Coast, CA 92657.

Crystal Cove is north of Laguna Beach and south of Corona del Mar (more specifically, it is south of where Newport Coast Road intersects with PCH).

The Crystal Cove Promenade is a long strip mall on the inland side of PCH but with a view of the ocean. There are two entrances into the mall -- Reef Point on the south and Sand Canyon on the north.

Here's the Starbucks, telephone number 949-376-5221:

Last edited by SoCal; 07-16-2005 at 06:51 AM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzi
Hey Eslai, fantastic looking Evo you have there! I had a red one, and even loving my red Boxster S, the Evo still has a nice chunk of my heart's real state.
But, putting the top down on the PCH always make me forget things...
Thanks, although it's not my Evo--it's Road Race Enginering's Evo, based out of Santa Fe Springs. I just help them race it. Sorry for misleading you!

I'm in for this drive. Are we finalizing on the time as "Butt-Crack Of Dawn"?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:44 PM   #20

Thumbs up Crystal Cove Pics!

Finally got to Crystal Cove for the car show this morning. The overall big shopping mall is open for anyone to come and go. There is a big center lot, however, that is separated off by traffic cones, and its inside those cones that the "official" car show occurs.

Many cars arrive before 7:00 am! At 7:00 the show begins. Then the security guards close off the center lot when it gets full. They said that they might close it anytime between 7 and 7:30. Cars are free to go out, but they can't get in. Then at about 8:45 they remove the cones again, most of the crowd thins out, and most of the cars leave.

The neat thing is that outside the center lot, in the main shopping area, its still FULL of Ferraris and Masers and supercars, only they are in just regular parking spaces. The main shopping area was, however VERY full at 8:00 and there were no groups of spaces open.

It was a really fun show! There is no restriction on who goes. Classic Mustangs, BMWs, crazy kit cars, anything goes. Pics attached.

If we want to meet up there, we have to go before 7 or after 8:45. I think it would be fine to show up at 9:00 or so, we would still join many remaining cars, and we would have a big group of open spaces to park in. We could also meet at the Laguna Beach Ruby's at 8:30 and all drive in together. What do ya say?