Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #1

New Boxster Fan

I am a new found Boxster fan . This is my first post in this forum so before I start with the Boxster stuff, let me tell you a bit about my current situation.
I currently own a Mazda Miata which is a great sports car. I know it doesn't have the best image about it (i.e. no one would say wow you own a Miata) but if you guys have never driven one, take one for a spin and you'll know what I mean. It is all about low weight and being one with the car and incredible handling. In any case, I've recently been feeling the bug for a more upscale and refined sports car and the Miata is just too raw at times.
Initially I had narrowed the field to S2000, 350Z, and Boxster. I don't like the BMW Z4 (and that goes for most of Bangle's new line). I think the Mercedes SLK is too much luxury and less sport (and I haven't heard the best things about Mercedes reliability). I soon dropped the S2000 because it's too high revving 4 cylinder with little torque (something not very usable in daily driving but good for the track), and in my opinion doesn't even look much better than a Miata. So I was down to my final two choices: 350Z coupe and Boxster S. I know you're thinking that one is a coupe and the other is a roadster. I happen to not really like the styling of the 350Z roadster and it's higher price puts it close to a slightly used Boxster. So it was either going to be a cheaper coupe or Boxster S.

On Monday I went for a test drive to see if I could narrow my two choices. My wife and I drove a 2001 Boxster S and a 2003 350Z. Let's just say, we were both won over by the Boxster S. The feel of the Boxster is very nimble, smooth and refined and smooth compared to the Z, The sound is incredible on the Boxster and add to it more luggage space than the Z coupe and a drop top and better handling and brand name recognition. Well, like I said, we were won over. I previously used to be a 350Z fan and still respect it but the Boxster is now the car I am after .

I am now seriously in the market for a Boxster S (preferably 2001 to 2003). I am going to post a few seperate threads because I have a few questions about the Boxster S. This seems like a great forum so I just wanted to introduce myself.

Kan-O-Z

Kan-O-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #2

Sweet, I was in the same situation a year ago, as I opted for a used Boxster S over the 350Z. I just felt the Z's interior was too crappy, plus there is absolutely NO STORAGE space in the Z.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Miatas are great - I had mine 5 years before moving up to a Boxster. I also passed on a new Z for a used box - 2001.
Now if I had only gotten an S...
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
986President

I think the 350Z is a neat car as well but no matter what they do to it -- it will always be a Nissan.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #5

I actually gave the 350Z a fair shot. I know many people don't want to buy anything but a high image/status european brand but honestly I am one of those guys that cares more about the car than the brand name. I am not ready to pay lots of money for glitz and glamour if the car can't deliver anything but icing and image. Nissan by the way is a great company. They have produced some great cars like the R34 Skyline GT-R (was never sold in the US). By the way in case you haven't heard, the soon to be released R35 skyline GT-R is coming which will be sold worldwide unlike the last version. Everywhere else it will be a Nissan and in the US it will be an Infiniti simply because of what you said. It will be a twin turbo AWD 450-500hp...watch out 911 as it will be the main target.
Anyways, my point is, the Boxster actually has the goods to deliver. A great package worth it's price. The same can't be said about a lot of other European cars. My favorite SUV happens to be the Infiniti FX 45 (much better looking than the Cayenne) and better performing besides the Turbo (but's that's also about double it's price). My favorite midsize sport luxury car is now the M45 (see recent comparisons and it blows away the 5 series and the Benz and some other european cars - of course I am not talking top notch like M5 or AMG...once again double the money).
So if the car has great styling(classy, sexy, timeless), great refinement, great performance (not just specs but great balance and feel and power), great build quality and reliability and safety....all for a good price then I'm sold. The Boxster executes this better than the 350Z so I am sold
I just don't think it's fair to say that I wouldn't buy it because it's still a Nissan.....

Kan-O-Z
Kan-O-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #6

mine wasn't an issue of name - it was the ride and the handling. I test drove both (and others) but the Boxster hooked me immediately. I quit shopping after the trip to the Porsche dealer and focused on finding "my" Boxster. Took another 2-3 months to find what I wanted at the right price.
Agree - Z's are cool cars. Going back a few years, I had a new 1984 Nissan Maxima, the one that still had the inline 2.4 with rear wheel drive. Great sedan, light weight, fast enough for some fun, handled very well for its day. My wife thought I was just buying a family car. In '85 they screwed it up and turned the engine sideways with front wheel drive. Bad move.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote