Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Porscheectomy

My 986 aftermarket wish list

I wish the aftermarket offered:

Rails that lower the seat another inch or more but still allowed for the seat to move back and forth (not bolting the seat directly to the floor). When I sit in a 944, it feels right.

A glass top that didn't limit engine access on 97-02 cars. A 2-piece window would be fine with me.

A manual steering conversion kit. It's not hard to convert, I suppose though.

A programmable dme package instead of having to rely on the tuner.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #2

here may be your seat solution ...

Boxster/996 seat mount - PRECISION CHASSIS**** WORKS************

i'm working on the manual steering ...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31007-steering-rack.html

specifically, this is the 'proper way':

Flyin' Miata : Tech: 1.8 conversion

but also shows the sneaky method where you just revise the plumbing by looping the hoses from each side of the piston. belt routing is fine unless you have a/c delete as well, in which case you need the $250 idler pulley from bgb.

can't help you with the rest, but I wish the aftermarket offered:

- a lightweight cayman roof shell with lexan windows and without operable hatch that attached at the front latch, spinlocks and rear trunk latch. 1 min to remove, complete engine access, under 25 lbs.
- a rear speedster panel/manual top like on the spyder.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
Gotta keep the sliders.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

i think you can still use sliders with this if you so wish?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #5

- how about a kit that simplifies putting a 7.8 dme in a 7.2 car (adaptor harnesses, etc.)?

- how about a trans cooler kit (canton thermostat and cooler, bosch pump, prolly take from the drain and return to the fill, mount in the chassis brace/pan thingy so that you can utilise the existing air scoops)?

- metal spark plug tubes.

- a boxster prototype back-date kit. might consist of this bumper:

BOXSTER SEBRING FRONT BUMPER PANEL | eBay

and these side skirts:

duraflex porsche boxster g-sport SIDES Skirts 97-04 NEW IN BOX A+ | eBay

- a better cold air intake. i'm working on my bmc install and hope to get a blow-by-blow out this winter.

- double ditto on the tuning. if you have 7.8 then i think this will work (designed for the turbo, but same dme so should just be some messing with maps):

Welcome to EURODYNE - Go Faster.

but suckers like me w/ 7.2 are screwed. there was a guy posting here a few months ago who was getting in with some kind of bench machine and some freeware stuff that worked with the bosch computers, but all a bit over my head:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/31346-me5-2-2-bench-flash-pinouts-also-me7-2-required.html

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/31377-me7-2-boot-mode.html

if you search the software he's using (galletto) you get this:

http://www.resettools.com/galletto_ecu_flasher_1260

it looks like it will read AND write to the 7.2 and 7.8 dme and that all you need is maps. since mr. fook has uploaded the 7.2 maps as per his posts, i presume that any tuning software can modify it, hence, we should be there ?!?!?

Last edited by The Radium King; 12-26-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
-
but suckers like me w/ 7.2 are screwed. there was a guy posting here a few months ago who was getting in with some kind of bench machine and some freeware stuff that worked with the bosch computers, but all a bit over my head:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/31346-me5-2-2-bench-flash-pinouts-also-me7-2-required.html

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/31377-me7-2-boot-mode.html

if you search the software he's using (galletto) you get this:

Galletto ECU Flasher v1260

it looks like it will read AND write to the 7.2 and 7.8 dme and that all you need is maps. since mr. fook has uploaded the 7.2 maps as per his posts, i presume that any tuning software can modify it, hence, we should be there ?!?!?

OK, just to make sure we don't go off down the wrong path here..... The Galletto software will, indeed, read and write all three ECU types mentioned here (ME5.2.2, ME7.2 and ME7.8) BUT there are different software versions for different years and different Porsche models, so it is always preferable to read out the ECU that is in your own car before modifying it's maps and then re-flashing the modified version of your own original file back to the original car it came from.

The ME7.2 map which I pulled from my 2001 3.2 Boxster S, has car specific values in the downloaded binary, such as the chassis number, so uploading my tuned file into another Boxster S, which had the same software revision on the ECU, would show my chassis number on the other Boxster, when looking with Durametric of PIWIS, for example.

The checksum in each ECU file is another problem in so much as any change you make to the ECU file, must be reflected by a change to the checksum and if this checksum is not updated so that it holds the correct value for the modified ECU, your car will not function. The tunning software companies are not stupid and charge an arm and a leg for the checksum calculation modules. :-)

I use a company in England to modify my ECU files and the cost works out at around $125 per file I send them, at current exchange rates (80 Pounds Sterling) ... For this, they take my original file and modify the ignition and fuel maps, calculate a new correct checksum and email me the tuned file.

I have now completed the 2.5 the 3.2 tunes and am very happy with the results, although I am now delving much deeper into the ECUs with software, which I have now bought.

2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote