Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #1

In-service date

Came up empty with a search, so how do I find out in-service dates. Is there an easy way to know this? I was looking at a couple '01's on consignment at a local (non-Porsche) dealer and was wanting to find out if they were totally out of warranty, because I'd like to get some sort of extended warranty just to guard against "the big stuff"(yes I'm still not at ease with the engine failure posts I've read). If it's not that easy, I could go through the salesman and have him contact the owner, but I was trying to do this without involving the dealership too much yet.

chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #2

A dealer can check the computer, but it may not always be correct. Mine was entered for January in the computer but the actual date written in the book was in March. Back then some dealers backed up the "in service" date so the car would be considered sold.

The actual date should be written in the service book.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #3

Talking

The service dept can tell you that date in about 30 seconds. Also, a car fax will usually give you the date within a few days or so.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #4

According to my dealer's computer and 8 years of repair invoices my delivery date is January 1, 1997. Problem is my car had not even been built and the dealer is closed. It was a made up date.

My actual first in-service date written in the maintenance book is March 24, 1997.

This became an issue on March 3, 2005, because I went to the dealer for a smog inspection and my check engine light was on, so I knew I would not pass. My mechanic friend hooked me up to the computer and I had a bad DME. No big deal. $2,000 for a new DME and the time to figure out the problem and to replace it so Arnold could send me the sticker for the plate. Plus the cost of the smog inspection. My car ran fine.

California has an 8 year emission parts warranty for certain parts, and the DME is covered. According to the dealer's computer the warranty ran out 2 months earlier. According to the book I had 21 days to go.

So we looked at the invoices, the computer, and the book. Then thanks to the State of California my DME was replaced at no cost to me.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote