Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #1

1999 Boxster - 62k - DEAD...

Ok, here is the story:

It's been about 105 degrees for the past few days. Of course, I still drive her fairly hard. Today I went by a buddies place, parked for about 15 minutes, and when I went to leave, she fired up, and then stalled. Turned it over again, fired up, then stalled out. Did it again, this time I gassed it to about 3000rpm, and let it down slowly, but as soon as it hit idle speed, she stalled again. Tried several more times, each time after that I couldn't even gas it before she stalled.

The only weird thing is that...you know when you fire them up, and there is the water level (?) indicator on the dash...and it usually shows full...??? This time, rather than showing full, it looked like the picture below. Only two bars would flash, and they would go down the ladder. Look at the picture below and think about a barber pole...with the two orange bars going down. I have never seen this before.

I let the car cool for about 20 minutes, and fired it up again. It stayed on for about 5 seconds, then died again.

Any thoughts? It's not the alternator, starter, or battery...??? Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelli
you know when you fire them up, and there is the water level (?) indicator on the dash...and it usually shows full...???
this is your oil level indicator, best checked when the car is cold or has sat for at least 30 minutes.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what's going wrong with your car otherwise, just thought I'd let you know that what you're seeing on the dash is your digital dipstick... I think mine does this two bar flashing down now and again. I have no idea if this is an indication of what's going on with your car dying vs. idling, but I bet it's coincidence.

Either way, I think you need to get it to a shop. Others might help you by offering ideas of things to check.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #3

I think you're just noticing the operation of the oil level indicator. For an accurate reading the car has to sit for awhile. If you start the engine, stop it, and turn the key to see the indicator you'll see it flash and mine shows a time on how long it will take to get a new level reading.

I searched renntech.org and your problem may be a dirty throttle body.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3595&hl=stalling#
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #4

After looking around a bit, it seems like it may be vapor lock... :ah:
Old 07-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #5

Ok, so I left the car at a buddys house for the night. After we got finished with the Friday night activities, I went back, and she fired right up...no problem whatsoever. No weird idle, no stalls, nothing. I got a CE light after about a minute of driving, but she drove, sounded, and idled fine all of the way home. I am going to drop her off at the mech in the morning to get everything looked at, but I think it was just vapor lock. I am wondering if I can heatshield the fuel pump, filter, and fuel lines...............
Old 07-23-2005, 06:32 AM   #6

First off, are your oil levels and coolant levels fine? Check with the dipstick and visually to verify. Either way, you don't want these low in that kind of heat.

Secondly, yes, it could be vapor lock.

Third, make sure the quality of gas is high, ie Chevron w.techron.

Fourth-In that heat, I would be using Mobil 1 15W-50.

Keep us advised what you find.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #7

MAF go bye-bye.

So, after a MAF replacement, oil change, smoked front signals, left side vent fix, and $810 later, she rides again...
Old 07-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #8

Talking

Excellent!
Old 07-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #9

My car is more expensive than my wife. :troll:
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelli
My car is more expensive than my wife. :troll:
Well, if she ever becomes your EX-WIFE ..............

Just kidding!