Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #1

security system

I have read posts about motion detectors and such on the boxster. Do all of them have this feature? My 2001 does not seem to ( at least I can't tell if it does) What needs to be done to activate or is it a aftermarket add on?

Thanks....

jboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #2

There are two oval covers on either side of your center map light. These are your motion sensors. I think every boxster has them.

When you have your top up and the hook is locked into place, or you have a little red clip installed like I do when the top is down so the sensor inside the hook's hole is depressed, and you lock the car with the remote ... the motion sensors come on automatically after a couple of minutes.

It's on a delay system so if you forget something you won't set it off immediately.

If you want to try and see if your motion sensors work, roll down the driver's side window, exit the car, lock it, drink a beer, then attempt to reach into the locked car through the window and remove something from the cubby under the radio. It should sound your horn.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-18-2005 at 01:18 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the response, I do not have remote entry for mine, does that matter? Or can I get a remote entry system for it?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #4

Hmmm. Someone just might have ordered your car from the factory without a remote key option. If so I'm betting that a remote key option went along with the motion sensors. I could be all wrong though... that's just me thinking aloud.

You need to jot down the codes printed on the underside of your front trunk lid and find out what options were ordered with your Boxster. That'll determine if you have it or not officially. Just post all the numbers on a thread here and someone with an options code list will help you out. Others have done the same.

If your car doesn't have the motion sensors built it, I'm guessing it will cost you a fortune to add it. I don't think it would be worth it.

A remote key head might be nice though... but that's gonna cost you dearly as well.

Everything is possible to add though... it's all a matter of how deep the pockets go!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #5

As long as it has a security system, it doesn't matter. I don't know why they would give you the system without the remote on the key head, though. The alarm is automatically armed when you lock the doors. The motion sensors are infrared sensors that look like little microphones in the dash.

The seat sensors let it know if you are in the car too. It won't turn the motion sensors on if someone is waiting in the car and the doors are locked.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #6

little microphones in the dash?

The motion sensors in my 97 are above the dash by the center convenience lamp. That little microphone looking circle thing on the passenger side in my car is actually a temperature sensor for the air conditioning if I'm not mistaken.

But they sure could have moved them in later years. Mine was one of the first to roll off the assembly lines.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
little microphones in the dash?

The motion sensors in my 97 are above the dash by the center convenience lamp. That little microphone looking circle thing on the passenger side in my car is actually a temperature sensor for the air conditioning if I'm not mistaken.

But they sure could have moved them in later years. Mine was one of the first to roll off the assembly lines.
Oops. You are correct sir. Sorry, getting old and the memory is going first.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #8

codes

I have found different codes under the front hood,

M9822-851
08801-00
c02 232 391 898
L2A1 SJ

Can anyone tell me what these may refer too?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #9

this is what I found.

c02 = us emissions
232 = factory 17" alloys
391 = 17" boxster design wheels
898 = cant find it, but i think that is
the storage space under the top
behind the seats???

forgot to add

l2a1 and sj are your paint and interior color codes

I havnet found a website that decodes these very
well.

Last edited by AztecRol; 07-18-2005 at 05:18 PM.
AztecRol is offline   Reply With Quote