Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #1

Locking wheel nuts

I have a 2004 S 986 and one of the nuts on the alloys is a lockable nut. I had the nut key in the front hood, but the nut was so hard to undo that i managed to break the key and now I cannot undo the nuts. Do boxsters leave the factory with one locking nut on each wheel or was this done aftermarket?

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #2

I bought my 2007 S from the factory and it came with locking nuts. I bought an extra key socket a week later (I tend to lose things).
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #3

That's the way they come from the factory. Some owners replace the security lug bolts with standard ones to avoid all the hassles, especially guys that track their cars a lot. Makes changing over the tires/wheels easier. Dealers will sometimes have a set of security keys on hand for their own use when the customer loses the one that came with the car. Check with your local dealer to see if they have a set of keys so you can get the lug bolt off. Changing over my security lug bolts to standard ones has been on my to do list for awhile, just too lazy to get around to it.
BTW, Ebay is full of folks selling their security lug bolts and keys. They must be tired of fooling around with them too.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 12-06-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 AM   #4

Get ride of them, they are not worth the trouble...I did.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #5

Garage
+1 on getting rid of them. PITA. I went to a tire shop and had them remove the lock lugs and replaced with regular bolts.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

center punch and drill out the lug bolt
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #7

Garage
I used an special socket for rounded bolts on mine, just tapped it on and then took the stupid things off and replaced them with standard lugs. Pointless and annoying if you ask me.

I would not try to drill them out though, lots of opportunity for disaster going that route.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

+2 on getting rid of them!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #9

+3 on getting rid of them. I tossed mine three years ago.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I used an special socket for rounded bolts on mine, just tapped it on and then took the stupid things off...
which shows exactly why they're not really worth it -- a thief can do the exact same thing and still make off with your wheels if they wanted them that badly, and it's not going to delay them that much more in getting the job done. Mine are still on there, but I'm probably going to do the same as others and change to a regular lug nut before my luck strikes again and I end up breaking my key while stuck on the side of the road somewhere remote.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
but I'm probably going to do the same as others and change to a regular lug nut before my luck strikes again and I end up breaking my key while stuck on the side of the road somewhere remote.
The breaking of the cheaply made key is inevitable!
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Hence why I'm not crazy about using the wheel locks, John.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #13

Mine actually came with two different keys, so it's really a PITA to remove mine. Where's a good place to get replacment nuts? Would Ebay be a bad idea?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #14

Just came back from our local dealer here... they are unable to order a replacement key, they said Porsche is no longer offering replacement locking wheel nuts keys. I guess tough luck!

I spoke to a few Tyre shops around and they claim all to be able to do it, however they do not offer any guarantee that they will not damage the alloy wheels. Its the only way out for me so I will give it a shot anyway. Wish me luck
rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #15

Replacement Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
Mine actually came with two different keys, so it's really a PITA to remove mine. Where's a good place to get replacment nuts? Would Ebay be a bad idea?
Don't know about lug nuts. But, you can get lug bolts from Pelican Parts, Suncoast Porsche, or there's a nice set of stainless steel bolts on Ebay for $149.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote