Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Garage
Question on 60K Maintenance

Im wrapping up my DIY 60K Maintenance on my Boxster. There are a few steps/requirements that I am a little unclear on. Thought maybe you guys could help?

Please keep in mind that I am new to the car and to doing any kind of work myself on past vehicles. So if it sounds like a dumb question, I apologize.

1. Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of the dust bellows for signs of damage, check tightness of screw connections on the suspension adjustment at the front and rear

The part about "check tightness of screw conncections.....". Where am I looking for these connections. A picture would be great!

2. Particle filter: Replace filter element

Is this the CABIN FILTER??

Also, is there a DIY on changing the Differential Oil? (I know this is not part of the 60K maint.)

Thanks All.....

John

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #2

Yes the Cabin Filter is another name for the Particle Filter
nylart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Check the wheel hubs for free play by pulling/pushing on the wheel from the top/bottom, side to side (9/3 o'clock positions) and in/out. There shouldn't be any free play or clunking.

Visually inspect the rear axle and CV joint covers for wear, tears, or other damage. If damaged, water and dirt will get into the CV joint and cause problems.

Check all of the suspension mounts and bushings for play or wear. Check the suspension bolts for tightness.

The Boxster has a transaxle where the differential is integrated into the transmission. Thus, only the transmission oil requires service.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #4

Garage
ny...Thanks for clarifying.

thstone....Thanks for the detailed info. on what I am looking for.

I thought I read somewhere that you should change the diff. oil at some point....apparently I was mistaken...Thanks Guys
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
Old 12-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
ny...Thanks for clarifying.

thstone....Thanks for the detailed info. on what I am looking for.

I thought I read somewhere that you should change the diff. oil at some point....apparently I was mistaken...Thanks Guys
If its never been changed, I would certainly change the gear oil at 60k. Be sure to use Porsche oil only.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Differential oil change, why. I have torn into rear ends from all the big auto makers, even some of the 40's rear ends when I was building rods. I cannot remember taking one apart and seeing dirty oil. Remember, this unit is basically sealed and gets not engine combustion going into it. You could loose some oil if the seal is bad but that's about it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

It needs to be changed. The gear oil, even a full synthetic like the factory fill, can shear down and fall out of grade, and the additive package degrades over time. Even those that felt they were not having any problems comment on how much nicer the gearbox shifts and how quiet the trans is after a drain and refill with the OEM lube.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

Garage
Ok...now Im confused!

Yes change the differential oil OR No do not?

If yes, does anyone know of a DIY?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #9

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Differential / Manual Boxster Transmission Fluid Change - 986 / 987
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #10

Garage
My fault...I should have specified. I have the Auto/Tiptronic Transmission.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #11

This is a fun project; the Tip cars have a separate diff that uses a special oil (not ATF). To change it, you need to remove one of the diff side covers (there is no drain plug). A bit time consuming and messy, but definitely a DIY project............ Do a search, this has been covered before, I think with photos.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #12

Garage
JFP...looks like a fun DIY!!

Getting the fill plug out sounds like a bi*&. And removing a side of the diff. cover and possibly axle sounds like a lot to go through.

Could I use a Mighty Vac and suck the fluid out?

Also, what type of fluid/oil do you recommend?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
JFP...looks like a fun DIY!!

Getting the fill plug out sounds like a bi*&. And removing a side of the diff. cover and possibly axle sounds like a lot to go through.

Could I use a Mighty Vac and suck the fluid out?

Also, what type of fluid/oil do you recommend?
The diff oil is a full synthetic 75W-90 Hypoid gear oil. You will never get all the oil out with a suction system, pulling the side cover is the only way. The process is covered in the Bentley manual if you have access to one..............
Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #14

John, The cabin filter is next to the battery on the passenger side. One small bolt to remove the plastic cover. Filter is in full view ! Slide out and replace. I did it my self. Purchased at ********************************AZ part # 996 572 21901 list $50.53 Cost $ 13.07 free shipping Good luck ! PS Change that trans oil !!! Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The diff oil is a full synthetic 75W-90 Hypoid gear oil. You will never get all the oil out with a suction system, pulling the side cover is the only way. The process is covered in the Bentley manual if you have access to one..............
JFP, I just sent you a PM
Thanks, Gilles

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote