Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jamiehjr
Tilt adjustment for Steering Column?

Hey!

I have been test driving very basic 97-99 Boxsters lately and realized there is only telescopic and no tilt adjustment for steering column. Is this true of all Boxsters?

On the LA Dismantlers Porsche site they said: Porsche 911 993 996 Boxster 3 spoke leather or leatherette steering wheel, can be sold w/or w/out air bag Tiptronic or manual 6 speed, will fit 1995 - 2005, the three-spoke sports steering wheel features a full-color or silver Porsche Crest full-size driver's airbag as well as 40 mm of rake adjustment, comes with leatherette airbag or can upgrade to leather airbag for $300 additional.

So, does that mean a later 3 spoke steering wheel is adjustable?

Thanks,
Jamie

jamiehjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #2

Talking

No tilt wheels on Box. Sorry!

Telescoping only and of course, seat height adjustments.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure the '05s have some tilt adjustment. They move up and down a bit, as well as fore/aft.

Of course, that doesn't help me... just makes me want a new model!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #4

I can confirm the previous posting...

The 987 has a lever under the wheel; when pulled left it frees the wheel to tilt up and down about 2 inches and fully telescope in and out like the Hubble.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #5

Talking

Sorry, I was referring to the 986!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I can confirm the previous posting...

The 987 has a lever under the wheel; when pulled left it frees the wheel to tilt up and down about 2 inches and fully telescope in and out like the Hubble.

Is this adjustable steering wheel also available if you select the "sports steering wheel" with the round center?
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #7

Sadly I have the generic 987 3 spoke, but IMHO it's a damn fine steering wheel and I constantly fondle the colored center crest when no one's looking (which is rare cuz everyone's looking .

I have to think it would be the same with the sport, my non-technical evaluation is that the actual wheel attaches as a garnish to the steering mechanism.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #8

You can get the column to tilt down. Down only! I just did it to mine. Out of all the crazy ish I've done to this build I think I' am the most proud of this. Its amazing how many parts are the exact same inside as the 911. The column is the same, however the mount is different. The mount is fixed. I'm sure some parts on the column are different but it says 996 on it. So... umm. ya.

Tools need:
-A cutting grinder or saws all (maybe a hack saw if you in shape and have time)
-ratchet with 13mm and 15mm & small size extension
-15mm wrench
-sharpie marker

Procedure:
I will start the procedure as if your dash is already removed. Its a B i T, C, H to get it off and you need to remove your steering wheel to get that off also. Anyways since I replaced my dash with a solid carbon fiber one. I had the dash off. The column is held in place by one big long 15mm bolt. Remove it. Then on the passenger side there is a bracket with a 13mm bolt going into the column. Remove it. Then remove the other side of the bracket which has a 13mm nut. You will now notice the column will be able to drop down about half an inch. You will notice that it doesn't go down further because the telescopic lever on the underside of the column is hitting the big aluminum cross brace that goes under the dash. You will need to bring the column all the way down so its resting on it, then mark with the sharpie where its hitting. Next remove the 4 13mm bolts and the one center 13mm nut holding that big aluminum brace in place. Cut out that marked area with your cutting tool. I only went down about into it about a quarter of an inch. Then bolt it back up. I got it perfect the first try. Once this is bolted back on you should barley be able to slide that big 15mm bolt back in place. This will wedge the column piece snug under the bolt so there is no play in the column. Next is that passenger side bracket. I you can bend it back into the new shape or drill a new hole and bolt it up. I chose not to. Its our car your chose.
Also the ignition is also FIXED to the column. If you do this you will get your column about an inch lower and your ignition will also drop down about the same amount. So you will have to slightly modify your dash to make this work. If you halfway intelligent you'll figure something out. Best of luck and enjoy.

Last edited by bravosd6; 07-31-2013 at 11:43 PM.
bravosd6 is offline   Reply With Quote