Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Two accidents: advice

In two seperate instances careless drivers did some damage to my car in parking lot type incidents. One old lady nearly took me down as I was exiting my car after parking on the street. She nails my door with front of her car. I'm lucky not to have gotten out of the car a second sooner or I would have been in ambulance.
The door was kocked off alignment and the paint was damaged on the door jam side and the edge of the door. The outside of the door was not really affected. The other insurance company accepted full responsibility. I took it to a body shop that was very close by and they did a light repair so that the door could close but the paint is still scratched/chipped.

Accident number two was in a gas station. The car in front, a large pick up truck, decides to put his car in reverse while I'm behind. I lay on the horn but no use he damages the paint on the front bumper (which was JUST repainted), dents the fender and there's headlight damage. The other insurance company also accepts full responsibility.

So now I have these two incidents on my Car Fax report to explain to a possible buyer. As such I will be sure to take the cars to a highly recommended body shop and I'm going to demand the car be pristine. I'm concerned about the headlight if its not replaced entirely and at some point fails at which point I'm told to pound sand.

Remarkably this is the first accident claim I've ever had to deal with. Any advice so I don't get hosed is welcomed.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Take a lot of pictures of the damage so that you can show them to potential buyers. That way they will know exactly what the damage was before it was fixed.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

No guarantee that it hits Carfax.
I've seen cars have 20k+ in damage and no mention on Carfax or the Ebay one for that matter.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

^ that's disturbing and doens't sound incidental.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to hear about this run of bad luck...

The good news: Car Fax is highly inaccurate and there is a good chance that the accidents will never show up.

The bad news: If the accidents do show up on the Car Fax, its very hard to mitigate the concerns of a buyer about a car that has been in two accidents and still get top dollar.

The long shot: Tell the insurance companies that you also need to be reimbursed for the loss in resale value. Yeah, I know, good luck on that one.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Matt

My advice is never do "light" repair when damage is done. The other company took full responsibility so have it fixed to the max - like new. Then, be careful getting out of your car, especially parked on the street. About CarFax, I don't know exactly how it works. I was thinking about it the other day and wondered, when you're getting estimates to determine who will fix your car, if you can simply tell them you won't have them repair your car unless they guarantee it won't be reported to CarFax. It's really none of anyone's business if your door had to be repaired.

MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote