Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Steering Rack mounting ??

Hi, my mechanic says that my steering rack is mounted directly to the chassis (not sure if that's the right terminology), without any rubber mounts etc....

Is that normal on a 2001 base Box ?

I've got alittle too much vibration when driving on the highway at high speed and the road has those slight imperfections that you usually can't see. It doesn't affect the handling but gives my hands a buzzing feeling that is tiring after driving on the highway for 3 hours !

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Still Learning

I have a base 2001 Boxster. The steering rack is bolted directly to an aluminum cross member that is bolted directly to the bottom of the unibody. If you unbold this cross member the steering rack will hang loose by the power steering hoses and the steering column. Ball joints and rubber bussings on suspension components that are also connected to this crossmember are not replacable. The entire, wishbone, control arm or tierod must be replaced if they are worn. If they are worn or cracked, vibrations can be felt in the steering wheel. Check the outer tierod ball joints first.
Icanfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

Check your RPM's when you feel the buzzing...could be your motor mount. Most folks feel it with the motor turning around 2500 rpm (give or take a few hundred). If your car has higher miles and you don't know when the mount was changed last, it may very welll be cracked.

I had a 98 base last fall that felt like it had rough idle (and roughness around 2800 rpm). I replace the motor mount that was definately torn and it felt like driving a new car!

I have also ordered a mount for my 2000S (100K miles). The car has a slightly rough idle (but rock solid tach display). I am confident that the new mount will remove the roughness I feel.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Icanfixit - all suspension components - control arms/control arm links, shocks, springs, strut bearing, inner/outer tie rods, anti-roll bar, busings, links are new (as least then, when I posted on this forum). Basically everything related to the suspension components are new.

dghii - my engine mount is also new....

I still have the buzzy vibration through the steering. I guess I've learnt to accept it. Just have to switch hands sometimes.

My Box has suddenly developed an additional wooden plank noise from the front suspension, every time I go through rough roads or speed regulation strips.... Started one day after one wheel fell into a pothole.... hmmmmm...

I hope the useful life of a control arm is not 1 year ??

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote