Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Durametric clear CEL for smog?

I know the durametric software can clear fault codes, but can it be cleared so my car can pass smog? I'm currently fiddling with a 0430 code and I think the car should pass because the prior owner successfully smogged it about 4 months ago. It's just the annoying light that is preventing me from smogging the car.

ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It will clear the fault and turn off the light until the next time the fault is logged.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpec818
I know the durametric software can clear fault codes, but can it be cleared so my car can pass smog? I'm currently fiddling with a 0430 code and I think the car should pass because the prior owner successfully smogged it about 4 months ago. It's just the annoying light that is preventing me from smogging the car.
Is the 0430 the only alarm you have? How does the seal on your gas cap look?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Is the 0430 the only alarm you have? How does the seal on your gas cap look?
According to the obd2 reader I used, that is the only fault code. How do I check the seal on my gas cap? It tightens fine
ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #5

It isn't the light

The CEL light is just an indication of the real problem.

Clear the light/codes with your code reader. Now the ECU goes into a learning mode and most SMOG tests that use the OBD2 port will detect that the ECU hasn't had enough cycles to learn the new values and tell you to come back when it has.

So the real challenge is to figure out the real cause so that, once fixed, after you've driven enough cycles for the ECU to have learned, the ECU will show no codes and no CEL when queried by the smog guys.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Clearing the code, without fixing the problem, will not get you through inspection, as Mike pointed out. It does not matter what device is used. The OBD II system has an "I/M Readiness" test system (Federal requirement) that will force your DME to respond "Not Ready" when tested for inspection if a code has been cleared, and the car will not pass. Drive the car until enough cycles are on the system, and the code will return, leaving you back where you started.

Fix the car, and then it will pass.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
According to the obd2 reader I used, that is the only fault code. How do I check the seal on my gas cap? It tightens fine
Turn it over and look at it... See attached photo of bad rubber seal (my old one) you can see multiple cracks on it.
Attached Images

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote