Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Exclamation HELP! Boxster won't turn after starter cleaning!

Ok guys, I've had the annoying chirp of the starter not disengagning for the past few weeks. After doing a little searching on here I decided to go ahead and clean and lube it.

Taking everything off was pretty easy and straight forward, got to the starter blah blah blah cleaned it and lubed it with White Lithium and some Slick 50 One lube. Everything went back together smoothly and everything was accounted for (that I know of). I did have an issue putting the intake back on, tricky bastard. So before buttoning everytyhing back up I just wanted to make sure it started.

Nothing. I turn the key, all electronics come on, try to turn it over and there is no sound or anything. Back off the key and try again and then it locks up. I can no longer go to the start position, but can still turn on electronics. If I take the key out, it again gives me 1 try to start and then locks the start position back up.

Any advice here?

I still have the car taken apart, top off, firewall behind the seats ect, and the intake (like I said I'm having signigicant trouble getting it back on). Is there anything I'm missing? Only thing engine wise I don't have on is the intake tubing

Help me please! All dealerships are closed on Sundays obviously so I have no one to call

Thanks guys!

Tpierce129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #2

Cool Change

I would replace the switch on the ignition. Could have been that all along!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's boxster
I would replace the switch on the ignition. Could have been that all along!
Funny enough, I just got back from Napa with one! I'm about to go out there and put it in, I'll leave an update
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

Ok, I replaced the ignition switch. No luck there. Any other suggestions before I just order a whole new starter??
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Are you absolutely sure you reconnected everything correctly? Before I’d replace the starter, I’d recheck consider re-checking everything, and/or pulling the starter back out and testing it outside the car…………..
Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

Key won't go into position II (start) from position I (ign) a second time unless returned to position O - as per my 97 manual
Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Are you absolutely sure you reconnected everything correctly? Before I’d replace the starter, I’d recheck consider re-checking everything, and/or pulling the starter back out and testing it outside the car…………..
How do I test the starter?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #8

Using a suitable sized jumper, supply 12V battery power to the main terminal, then 12V to the + solenoid terminal. You can also just take it to any AutoZone or the like, and they will test them for free............