Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #21

The IMS retrofit SHOULD BE a $1-1500k investment (the other costs should include a new clutch and flywheel, which is a worthwhile repair or replacement on a well used Porsche). It's not a $3k throw-away.

I don't personally believe in doing it on cars like mine (worth $11-14k, 12 years old, etc.)- I might if I needed to get my clutch & flywheel replaced. Some portion of the cars, lets say 3-10%, have this failure. The failure is catastrophic and, besides the water pump, about the only way the car is going to fail after it gets to 50k mles.

If I were shopping for a 97-2004 Boxster (S or not), I would attach a $750-1000 premium to a car that had had it's IMS bearing replaced. Maybe $1500 if the clutch and flywheel were done at the same time and it was relatively recent (i.e. within 3 years/20,000 miles).

That's my own opinion. I don't believe in getting it done for my own car, but a car that had had it done would be a nice thing to have.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #22

I don't really think it matters what your Boxster is worth. Unless the wheels are literraly falling off then most likely you are planning to keep it long term. If keeping an older Boxster is your plan then you are going to end up spending a fair amount to keep it running as a Porsche was intended to be. This is true of all Porsches from rare to common. Point is there's no point in owning one of these cars if its all busted up from outstanding repairs. If you are going to make that committment then there's no logical reason to put off the IMS upgrade. Sure you can wait until the clutch needs replacing but I think this is a dumb move. At most you'll save a few hundred bucks getting a few extra years on that clutch while gambling that if it goes against you it will cost you thousands. Good luck selling a Boxster with no engine.

btw, my dual row IMS was in PERFECT condition when it was extracted.
Until they come up with CAT scans for car engines you can either stress out about possibly being one of the unlucky ones or you can get the upgrade.
No brainer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-24-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #23

I知 am looking for a 2000-04 Boxster in Southern California. Since I am in no hurry, I知 holding out for one with the LN IMS replacement. I致e seen some in NorCal, but none down here yet. I知 willing to pay $1-2K more with the IMS upgrade, figuring that if they did the upgrade, they also understand the car, and took good care of it. I値l give it a year before I look at buying a non-upgraded car and having it done after I get it. . Like I said, I知 in no hurry, and can wait for the right car.
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #24

Garage
Why did I spend the money to replace the bearing in a car barely worth that much. Because I can. And when this Porsche Corolla finally blows up, I will go pay cash for something worth the money, a Corvette ZR-1. And I will let this Porsche piece of crap rust in the backyard. Why, because I can.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontfort
Why did I spend the money to replace the bearing in a car barely worth that much. Because I can. And when this Porsche Corolla finally blows up, I will go pay cash for something worth the money, a Corvette ZR-1. And I will let this Porsche piece of crap rust in the backyard. Why, because I can.
You tell 'em!

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-25-2011 at 09:07 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #26

your comparing a 100k + zr1 vette to a 10k or so boxster, give me a break. there are some local ads for boxsters in my area . one has 175,000 miles and one has 155,000 . i highly doubt they have any upgrades.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #27

I agree with Dragonwind, this is just TROLLing. If you had 100K cash to drop on a ZR1, why would you be crying about a few grand?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontfort

This is close to the dumbest statement I have ever heard.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #29

In relative numbers, there are probably few 986s out there that are upgraded.

In the coming years, there will certainly be many more cars with the IMSR on the market.

As this upgrade proves itself, I firmly believe that retrofitted cars will easily fetch $1k more than cars that don't have the upgrade.

Time will tell but I'm taking the route of action rather than apathy.
Series9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The problem is these engines have a couple of other failure modes, upgrading the IMS only fixes one of them.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #31
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series9
In relative numbers, there are probably few 986s out there that are upgraded.

In the coming years, there will certainly be many more cars with the IMSR on the market.

As this upgrade proves itself, I firmly believe that retrofitted cars will easily fetch $1k more than cars that don't have the upgrade.

Time will tell but I'm taking the route of action rather than apathy.

The failure rate is approx 2%-3%. No one is going to pay $1,000 premium when they can buy hundreds of other cars for less and have a 97% sucess rate.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #32
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40
I知 am looking for a 2000-04 Boxster in Southern California. Since I am in no hurry, I知 holding out for one with the LN IMS replacement. I致e seen some in NorCal, but none down here yet. I知 willing to pay $1-2K more with the IMS upgrade, figuring that if they did the upgrade, they also understand the car, and took good care of it. I値l give it a year before I look at buying a non-upgraded car and having it done after I get it. . Like I said, I知 in no hurry, and can wait for the right car.

Unlikely. If you're willing to pay a $2,000 premium then buy one tomorrow and have the upgrade done. No reason to wait.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The problem is these engines have a couple of other failure modes, upgrading the IMS only fixes one of them.
That is my concern. IIRC, one expert mentions 10 or more modes of failure.
That is why I have ordered the IMSG, even though I may yet get the IMS upgrade.

Last edited by jotoole; 06-26-2011 at 02:21 AM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
The failure rate is approx 2%-3%. No one is going to pay $1,000 premium when they can buy hundreds of other cars for less and have a 97% sucess rate.

I'm not sure where you get your 2-3% numbers. Certainly the only company that has a sample large enough to be valid is Porsche, and they will never let us see the numbers.

As the owner of a Porsche service facility, I can tell you that my experience is a failure rate MUCH higher than 3%. Double-digits for sure. But, my sample is relatively small, so I won't waste your time by quoting numbers.

You said "no one will pay more.....". As you can see in a post that almost immediately follows that statement, we have a person in CA who is looking to do exactly that.

There's no point in arguing about it. Let's wait and see.
Series9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #35
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
What data did you use to come up with that 2-3% number?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #36

Would your car

now sell faster, easier, better priced? Guess we won't know till you try and sell it. I can tell you the maintenance history and attitude of the seller influenced the buyer of the last Boxster I sold. I had to fight off buyers and I didn't live convenient to a major market.

Everyone has to make their individual choices on how much risk they are willing to take in life and how much they are willing to pay to mitigate the risk.

I turned down an extended warranty when I bought my last Boxster, and didn't do the IMS. Not because I wasn't convinced the LN part is better or the inner-seal-less design isn't better but because I was willing to bet on the odds. You didn't and maybe you spent money you didn't need to or the existing part could have failed next week. We'll never know.

Buying insurance is like that. Sometimes you win (or your survivor does) and sometimes you just sleep better at night.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #37
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series9 View Post
I'm not sure where you get your 2-3% numbers. Certainly the only company that has a sample large enough to be valid is Porsche, and they will never let us see.
This is about 6 months after the fact but my dealership, which sells and services most of the Porsches in the region has never seen an IMS failure. With your double-digit experience, are you sharing serial number, build sequence or model year/mileage data with Raby or other people making repairs or keeping data? Additionally since you are a Porsche repair facility, you comprehensive data might be what is needed to "urge" Porsche to cover these issues.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 01-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #38

so the question that has not been asked yet is why did you overpay by about 1k to do the retrofit? All the local shops I called here in the Seattle area were about 2k for the IMS retrofit including parts........Im doing it with my tax return so I dont have to dip into savings lol
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #39

I performed the retrofit on mine myself since I was pulling the transmission out anyway. I sold the car this past fall, an informed buyer (luckily I had one) will likely understand and pay more for the car as a result. An uniformed buyer (one who bases their decision solely on price) will likely deserve and learn quickly the consequences of getting a "Cheap Porsche".

When I pulled the original IMS bearing out and it to appeared to be in good shape, I simply shook my head and smiled thinking "Well, at least that's something that won't be dwelling in my thoughts anymore". If you're already going in for a clutch change or otherwise, change it out. Until then, keep changing the oil and filter every 3k to 5k miles, JMHO.

And yes, I know a couple of guys who've unfortunately experienced IMS Bearing failures on M96 motors. Read of several more here and on other sites, spoke to techs at independent Porsche shops, it is a known problem.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #40

I also was curious about the IMS bearing issue, so, I went to my local Porsche dealer and had a little quick talk with a couple of P-techs. Letting them know I was in the market for a nice pre-owned Boxster and have heard about the IMS issue. I was told that in their combined years of servicing and repairing Posche's that they have had only one car with an engine failure. I was told that Porsche's love being driven, not sitting...Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote