Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Locked Out

Help...Out of town for a week...came back and the battery is dead in my 99 Boxter. Opened the drivers door and the lever releases for the front and rear compartments seem to be locked. How do I get the front compartment open to charge the battery????

RBatson1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #2

Garage
Is there a way to use your lighter to charge the battery and get some life back into the system?

I'm looking at my Bentley Service Manual and for the 97-00 model years looks like removing the drivers seat, pull-off plastic covers (lever trim bolt covers), loosening allen bolts, prying cover upwards using a plasitc trim tool, then remove "Bowden" cable from housing. Then you should be able to pull the cable to release the latch.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Good question, when my boxster didnt have enough battery to start i wasnt able to click the front open. But luckily for some reason 15 minutes later it had it enough power to open the front (not really sure why) and i was able to get to the battery. Not sure what woudlve happened if it didnt somehow get enough battery back?
tchu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #4

Remove the fuse cover (Driver side footwell) pull out red post, connect a battery charger positive to the post and the negative to any bare metal and pop the hood button. should work and let you into the battery to charge. I wouldn't strat removing any panels or seats??
Just read some other posts you might not have the post if depending on year of car. Do a search for Dead battery.

Last edited by monaghana; 06-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
monaghana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaghana
Remove the fuse cover (Driver side footwell) pull out red post, connect a battery charger positive to the post and the negative to any bare metal and pop the hood button. should work and let you into the battery to charge. I wouldn't strat removing any panels or seats??
Just read some other posts you might not have the post if depending on year of car. Do a search for Dead battery.
I believe the fuse panel post bacame an option after 2000 model year.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #6

I had this same problem a while back and many thanks goes to schnellman for helping me with this...

Take a flashlight and a long, thin, flat screwdriver and slide it down between the front and rear levers. Under the front trunk lever, your gonna see a U shaped cut out that will have a white plate over it. The white plate, when the vehicle is locked or doors are closed, slides over the U shaped cutout to prevent the levers from being raised. Using the screwdriver, slide the white plate from the outside of the car towards the center. Once you've got it over, you should be able to pull up (on the lever) and open it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote