Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Another warranty?

I have a 2002 Boxster S with 20k miles on it. I bought it 4 years ago (with 10k mi) and got an aftermarket warranty which is due to expire this August. The only problem I have had with the car is a malfunction of the convertible top, which was largely covered by the warranty. My out of pocket expense for that was about $750. The warranty cost me about $2000.

My question is, should I try to get another warranty when this one expires? The car is in great shape. I really enjoy it and would like to keep it for the long term, but want to be careful about it. I do not use it as a daily driver, but rather as a toy on weekends and sunny days.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Arshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Has the warranty been worth it? It sounds like the insurance company came out ahead.

Will the next one even cover a major issue like an ims failure? Can you use the money you put into the warranty to make the car less likely to fail in the first place? Can you even get a warranty on a ten year old car?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #3

In my opinion, anything but a factory warranty is worthless. If you paid $2k for the warranty you have, and it still cost you $750 out of pocket for the top repair, that right there tells me you're dealing with a less than ideal company. The cost of your top repair was easily less than $2000, and if that's all you claimed on it, the warranty company clearly came out ahead (which is obviously how they make money).

You can get a warranty on just about anything, provided you're willing to pay the price. If I were you, I would spend the money to do an IMS upgrade on the car to thwart off the potential nightmare that that can cause, and put the money that you would have spent on another warranty into the bank to cover upcoming maintenance on the car.