Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Oil Pressure warning light

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2000 986. Seems great so far. CEL was on at purchase, read the codes with OBD II came up with O2 sensor related error codes. Reset CEL and now a week later, same codes back. Anyone else experience O2 sensor related errors continually?

As well, Engine Oil Light flickers intermittently when idling at a stop light or whatever (but not always at every stop idle situation) , but when moving at speed, no flickering...anyone else have issues like this? I have a full tank of oil, and no pressure drop, yet the flickering light.

Aside from these few issues, the car runs great, seems great and performs great.

Tk

Boxster TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Congratulations on the car and welcome!

O2 sensor issues are known to occur with Boxsters. There are a total of four O2 sensors: one O2 sensor before the catalytic convertor and one after the catalytic converter on each side of the engine.

Before you start replacing anything, you might want to post the exact codes here and see if someone can provide some insight whether that code is likely to be caused by the O2 sensor itself or possibly another component in the system is causing the problem, e.g., the mass air flow (MAF) sensor is always a favorite suspect for many CEL's!

I'm sure that someone else will weigh in on the Oil Light flicker...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-26-2011 at 09:35 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

I wouldn't drive it at all with a flickering oil pressure light.It could be as simple as the pressure sensor going bad but I wouldn't assume that. Have someone put an external oil pressure guage on it to make sure there isn't a problem.
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

If there is a misunderstood set of codes for these cars, it is the infamous O2 sensor codes. Most of the codes possible are an indication that something else in the system is wrong (air leaks, fuel leaks, fuel pressure low, exhaust system leaks, etc.), and none of these issues are going to be fixed by replacing otherwise perfectly normal functioning O2 sensors. To do the right thing, you need to find out what specific code(s) the system is throwing, and then diagnose what they are telling you. More often than not, a new O2 sensor is not the answer.

As for the oil pressure light, I fully agree, stop driving the car until you know what the problem is; it may be a simple pressure sensor replacement, but continuing to drive it without knowing is flirting with disaster……….
Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #5

My oil pressure warning light was blinking from time to time when my AOS failed..

try to take the oil cap off, it might be AOS

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #6

Thx for the input...greatly appreciated. Good point on the error codes. There are three codes: 1126 (O2 sensing range), 1133 (Oxygen Sensor Adaptation, Lower Load Range Bank 2 above limit) and 0450 (Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch).

Anyone out there able to give me some needed advice on these? I cleared the error codes with my OBD II and the CEL is now out...has not come on again since this morning.

Still having the flickering "Oil Pressure Light" when I'm idling at a stop, but still, infrequently.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #7

Guys/Gals,

Thanks again for more input...ref the AOS, what is that? I'll try the oil cap recommendation and I won't drive it again until I verify the oil pressure switch...small frustrations but otherwise, happy with the car. Pretty nice to get immediate feedback/help on these issues...being a fledging new owner.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

AOS = air-oil separator. Its an emissions device that collects crankcase gases and routes them back into the intake manifold so they can be burned off, thereby reducing emissions.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #9

Garage
The forum is all over this issue!! Yes, while the car is running (and warmed-up) remove the oil fill cap. If it is difficult to remove the cap (high suction) and the car almost stalls when the cap is removed (while your oil fill sounds like a shop vac), you most likely have a bad AOS. A bad AOS will give you the same alarm codes you have (I’ve been there). As a result of a bad AOS oil will get on your O2 sensors and possibly mess those up, you might have to replace them. If you have a bad AOS I would replace it first, reset alarm codes and see what happens.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

This is exactly what I mean about O2 codes and interpreting them; P1126 means the sensor cannot richen up the mixture enough to get the fuel mix back inbounds, probable causes: low fuel pressure or vacuum leak. P1133 indicates an overly lean condition (below lower limit for mixture). P0450 indicates the EVAP system at the fuel tank is giving an “implausible” pressure/vacuum value.

The first two point to an overly lean mixture, probably caused by a vacuum leak in the EVAP system in the passenger’s side wheel well, next to the fuel filler, as indicated by the third code. There are multiple valves, sensors and a bunch of vacuum lines on the EVAP system (which captures and allows the engine to consume fuel vapors from the tank). Anyone of them can be the culprit.

But in any case, your O2 sensors are fine.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #11

Aos

All,

As a follow up, replaced the AOS today for $200 Canadian (tax in) and everything is good to go. No more CEL (related to O2 emissions/sensors etc), no oil pressure light flickering at low RPMs.

There was a tear in the Diaphragm inside the AOS...once replaced, the whinning sound was gone as well at 2200 RPM...

Thanks for the help!

Tk
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Garage
Fantastic! Double check the oil level on the dipstick and on the instrument panel, the oil level should be between the two marks, don’t over fill.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #13

Just bought 2001 with about 33,000 miles. Car drives perfect. After warmed up, oil light is on at idle (800rpm) Raise rpm to 1000 and over and light is off. Installed oil pressure gauge and oil pressure is at 8psi @ idle. Pressure switch says .3-.55 bar which is about 4.3-8psi so it seems that this engine is just at the low end of pressure at idle. When raising RPM, pressure raises to 30psi. Seems like it should be higher. Oil filter was clean, read a lot about IMS but no one with that issue seemed to mention oil light on.

dubwerx is offline   Reply With Quote