Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #1

well if you never drove an S you will always be in Love with your baby.

But if you owned the S and it was totaled and replaced with a standard Boxster you would not be happy.

I guess its like marrying the first girl you ever dated, not knowing that the total babe that lived next door to you who would go outside to take out her garbage in her two piece bikini and would go out running 5 miles every morning
secretely had a crush on you while your wife stoped having sex with you and started packing on the pounds.

sometimes your better off not experiencing something better.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #2

Interesting analogy

If it were only as easy to trade in your wife as it is a car eheheheheh Just kidding

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Boxster-MK
Interesting analogy

If it were only as easy to trade in your wife as it is a car eheheheheh Just kidding

Mike
seriously at this curb weight when a car goes over the 240 HP mark something happens to the car.
its hard to describe but it just comes alive, not just off the line but in all situations.
I had the same feeling when I drove a supercharged Miata.

a very different sensation for me.
And pratically speaking as other's have pointed out if you plan to sell you Boxster NOT BUYING the S may cost you more than buying the standard boxster.
The S has a slower depreciation.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-14-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #4

A few points of contention:

"Sport Chrono and PASM are driver aids. A person might elect out of those options because they want to improve their driving skills yet still have the fastest model of the Boxster."

Do you mean PSM is a driver aid? The Sport chrono is a gimmick, but the sport BUTTON is not and you can't get it seperately. The Sport button puts PSM in a less motherly mode and remaps the throttle response curve to a more sport and responsive setting. (I really hate the electronic throttle).

PASM allows the car to ride soft when cruising and stiffen up to a more sporty setting when needed.

PSM has been driving me kind of nuts. I'm considering disabling it and driving around, but I'll have to wait until I have time to pay a bit more attention to the car.

"If I wanted a sports car thats super fast I would have purchesed a 911,"

Don't sell yourself that short--the 911 isn't THAT fast really. If you wanted a sports car that was super fast you could have purchased a Corvette Z06.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #5

There are lots of ways to enjoy automobiles. There was a time when I pretty much thought that the "performance" of said vehicle, as measured by stop watches and lap times was the only thing that counted.
All of the enthusiast auto magazines teach us to buy into this nonsense by track testing street cars and trumpeting the outcome as proving that one pile of aluminum and plastic is better than the other pile of aluminum and plastic because it goes around in a circle microscopically faster.
Stopwatches and horsepower figures can only represent one view of the appeal of a car to the owner. For some people it is a big factor, for others, not so much.
My standard Boxster, with a Tiptronic no less, has no trouble keeping up with traffic, so I guess I would have to say the performance is adequate.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote