Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Flashing side lights

I want my side lights to flash with turn signals..has anybody attempted this? I am about to start searching for wiring diagrams...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Garage
Hi JayKay,

It has been done before, although I haven't done it myself - see here:

http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?24,1553251,1553251#msg-1553251
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #3

Here is a link who regroup majority of 986 hacks, very usefull.
Sidemarkers included.

http://www.babblers.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-6524.html
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Attached is a hard copy you can print of the rennlist hack which is the easier one. Know you can remove the plug from the bracket by sliding out the retention clip on the back side. This makes it much easier to work with for finding and splicing the correct wire. A very worthwhile mod.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Boxster Flashing Side Marker Hack.pdf (73.6 KB, 395 views)
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

Yes I need this mod....had a ducatti come inside of me right while I was changing lanes on a sweeper

Thanks this information saves me a great deal of time. This rennlist version looks very simple and effective; not sure if there is reason to it differently. Any potential disruption to the computer possible?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

no affect as (a) 9x6s have pretty rudimentary electrical systems and (b)European models are set up this way (a little different wiring set-up but essentially the same). All you are doing is altering the ground.

That said, on 9x7 models, there is a set up feature in the PIWIS software which can be changed to make them flash (as European models are set to). In which case, doing this mod on them might/probably would create an issue the computer would pick up.

Use due caution when removing the plug retainer clip (it's yellow) and the bracket as they can sometimes be brittle and you don't want to crack them. Otherwise, you may need to replace in order to get the headlight pod/wiring plug to re-seat properly.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:48 AM   #7

Flashing side lights - question

I’ll resurrect this thread, since it already has useful info posted.

I made this mod (2003 986), but there is a small problem. One side marker works fine in all modes (no lights, parking lights, turning) but the other side does not flash unless the parking lights are turned on. If the parking lights are on it illuminates, and it flashes when it’s supposed to. I swapped lights, bulbs, no different.

My big question is really this: I don’t understand how the modified circuit can light the bulb at all if the parking lights are off. There’s no connection to the + side of the bulb. When parking lights are on there is +12v, so everything works. Any electrical pros out there who can explain it to me?

Last edited by Tbob; 08-10-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Tbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbob View Post
I’ll resurrect this thread, since it already has useful info posted.

I made this mod (2003 986), but there is a small problem. One side marker works fine in all modes (no lights, parking lights, turning) but the other side does not flash unless the parking lights are turned on. If the parking lights are on it illuminates, and it flashes when it’s supposed to. I swapped lights, bulbs, no different.

My big question is really this: I don’t understand how the modified circuit can light the bulb at all if the parking lights are off. There’s no connection to the + side of the bulb. When parking lights are on there is +12v, so everything works. Any electrical pros out there who can explain it to me?
Hey, did you ever figure out the cause? I’m experiencing the same thing (passenger side works as expected, driver side only works when parking lights are illuminated). My guess it is a similar wiring situation where only the driver side fog light illuminates in US cars.
BOX97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:19 AM   #9

I had a similar problem when i changed my lights. I had to add a new ground wire. Solved the problem.