Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Remote key problem

Today the car started to open both front hood and door locks at the same time. I push the hood closed, get in and drive about 12feet and the hood pops open. I stop, close the hood, get in and the same thing happens. I am able to drive the car up to 65 on a back road but I will drive on the interstate at 75. Danbury Porsche can do nothing for me until next thur. Problem is I am leading nine cars on an overnight trip to Saratoga Springs this Sat. and need the thing fixed. Would disabling the fuse to the front hood help or pulling the battery connection for a bit or time then re-connecting help? Damn these electronic 'convenience' devises.

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #2

Remote gremlins

I understand the concern and frustration that happen sometimes..
Have you tried disconnecting the battery cables? it might reset itself, and would'nt do much harm?
just my 2cents...
good luck.
t2
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2-bxtrs
I understand the concern and frustration that happen sometimes..
Have you tried disconnecting the battery cables? it might reset itself, and would'nt do much harm?
just my 2cents...
good luck.
t2

Thanks t2, now here is where it gets even more weird. I go out with second key that has no battery. Car starts and we drive around the area, hood does not pop up. I can still open front trunk with switch on the sill.

We then take the key with the battery in it and same thing, no hood popping open!!! Key remote now again locks/unlocks the car without popping the hood lock. Hood lock will again open just by using remote front trunk area on the key. Now I am really confused. We have a Android tablet that was with us on our original trip and I wonder if it somehow is pulling in some kind of signal that corrupts the remote open/close signal so I took the pad out with me and it didn't interfere with the remote key operation. Will try starting the car with the pad inside with me and see what happens. Damn car is going to give me a seizure yet. Apprehensive enough as it is hoping we will not have rain/snow for the trip on Sat now this.....sheeesh! At least the engine didn't go grenade on me!

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Cool Gremlins

I understand you need the car this Saturday, there definetely must be some electrical short somewhere which is not so easy to identify... i would try and disconnect the battery for a few days after, and hope that it resets itself. otherwise it would need a lot of patience on whoever troubleshoots this.
good luck and i hope you can post the final resolution !
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Just pulled my 2002 Boxster out of storage and Its doing the same thing.
If I push the door lock button on the key fob the door opens but the hood also pops open.
I close the hood but you can't drive out the driveway and the hood activates and will pop open.
The car has been in heated storage for 8 months and there was no problems when it went in.
It seems to be some sort of programming issue

brian2034 is offline   Reply With Quote