Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Staggered wheels, 18s front 19s back?

I'm interested how this set up looks on a boxster. Please post a pic. Also what would be a downfall? Is psm effected? Handling?

Thanks

Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

Tires will have thinner sidewall at the back which means they'll break traction sooner = oversteer. Not a good thing when our cars don't have a limited slip diff.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
SPB racer

Garage
I am not Entirely certain in the case of a boxster but on a gt3 it will not work because the different rolling diameters upset the ABS.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #4

I posed the same question in another thread. 265/40-18 tires and 265/35-19 tires have the exact same 26.3" diameter, so it's not a problem for ABS or PSM. The 19's are a factory size, with the same section width, so they shouldn't change the handling balance, except to "respond" quicker due to less sidewall flex. The reason I was considering it was concerns over wheel/tire damage with the very short sidewall of 19" fronts. The Corvette and Lotus, and I'm sure others, have staggered wheel diameters. As far as appearance, I would also like to see some pictures.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

There may be some issue to the sidewall heights as far as flex and traction is concerned, however, if you do the math properly, you'll maintain the same rolling diameter, so ABS/ PSM is not affected.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

A great test would be to mix & match a set of factory 18's & 19's , using the same brand tires with similar wear. I can't see it creating any issues, but the only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote