Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #1

Slam the frunk!

Does anyone else other than me have to SLAM the frunk hard to get it to latch shut? Is there an adjustment for this? I know it's not going to break, but I feel so silly slamming it shut so hard every time I use it.

KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
Does anyone else other than me have to SLAM the frunk hard to get it to latch shut? Is there an adjustment for this? I know it's not going to break, but I feel so silly slamming it shut so hard every time I use it.
I had a 99 Box, now I have a Cayman, and on both of them it requires a only gentle push on the Porsche crest with the palm of my hand to close the frunk and make it click shut. It's a beautiful, precision sound. If you have to slam it shut, you badly need an adjustment, and maybe an attitude adjustment if you think slamming any part on a car won't break it.

Not going to break? HAH! If you are slamming the lid and you aren't in just 100% perfect alignment, it could very easily twist and ruin the hinges, if not the lid itself. This actually happened to me on my Dad's old Buick when I was a teen and as a result I ruined his hood, and that Buick had a lot stronger hood than the frunk on my Porsche, especially the flimsy aluminum one on the Cayman. Ever since then, I've been really careful about shutting hoods and trunks. You'd better get an adjustment, because IMHO you risk damage every time you slam it.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

I lower mine down on the latch and gentle push with my fingers until it catches, I would suggest you do not need to "slam" any door or lid on the Porsche. Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #4

I don't slam mine, just lightly push it down with your palm below the badge until you hear the click.

Last edited by ekam; 03-30-2011 at 06:52 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #5

Actually, it's not good for the frunk lid to close it by placing one's fingers or palm on the crest, which is about two inches north of the latch. It might keep fingerprints off the paint, but it would be better to place the palm of your hand directly over the latch.

My mechanic has seen paint crack due to owners pushing down hard on the crest repeatedly instead pushing down on the painted surface directly over the latch.

Call me anal, but I'd rather wipe off a smudge than look at cracked paint.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

Like the others said...lower until the latch touches and a gentle push below the crest "clicks" the latch into place. I don't understand the slam, as there's no weight to the frunk lid, that would close it by this method. I close the rear deck lid by holding about four or so inches from closing and release...there is sufficient weight to latch by those means.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #7

Garage
I get mad when anyone slams the frunk, trunk or doors on my porsche. Actually I get mad when they do it on any of my cars. I guess it is a pet peeve of mine. It is quality stuff people just shut it firmly but gently and yes, you have to press on the frunk before it clicks its little "thank you for not slamming me".
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Clear indication that you haven't read you owners manual.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I don't slam mine, just lightly push it down with your palm below the badge until you hear the click.
+1. If anyone slams a door or trunk lid on my Boxster, they are banned from further rides.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

Wow.

I never expected to get flamed over this post. it's not as if I enjoy slamming the frunk. That's why I asked for help. Everything else of the car shuts so easily. So instead of getting tips on how to adjust the latch mechanism, I basically am being called an idiot.

Well done. Very useful.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
Wow.

I never expected to get flamed over this post. it's not as if I enjoy slamming the frunk. That's why I asked for help. Everything else of the car shuts so easily. So instead of getting tips on how to adjust the latch mechanism, I basically am being called an idiot.

Well done. Very useful.
Read through your owners manual. I say it because your answer is there and there's probably alot of other things you could learn about your car from it.

Last edited by blue2000s; 03-30-2011 at 09:44 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #12

1. i don't think anyone called the OP an idiot, just pointed out that normally there is no need to slam the lid. lower it until the latch engages and push below the crest until it latches. if you feel that it needs to be slammed to close then it's a problem that should be taken care of.

2. agreed on slamming anything. i get so agitated when someone gets out of any of my cars and feels the need to slam the doors - my MIL is pretty bad about that as well but then she drives a 90s-era volvo with doors that i swear weigh close to 1.5 tons so i am somewhat forgiving. plus she's my MIL...

also why i tend to not let other's ride in the porsche because they don't understand opening the door by pulling the handle twice (to exit) or waiting for the window to drop EVEN AFTER i tell them about it. i cringe when someone tries to exit and pulls the handle - of course the door doesn't open so what's their standard answer? PULL HARDER...

:troll:
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
1. i don't think anyone called the OP an idiot, just pointed out that normally there is no need to slam the lid. lower it until the latch engages and push below the crest until it latches. if you feel that it needs to be slammed to close then it's a problem that should be taken care of.

2. agreed on slamming anything. i get so agitated when someone gets out of any of my cars and feels the need to slam the doors - my MIL is pretty bad about that as well but then she drives a 90s-era volvo with doors that i swear weigh close to 1.5 tons so i am somewhat forgiving. plus she's my MIL...

also why i tend to not let other's ride in the porsche because they don't understand opening the door by pulling the handle twice (to exit) or waiting for the window to drop EVEN AFTER i tell them about it. i cringe when someone tries to exit and pulls the handle - of course the door doesn't open so what's their standard answer? PULL HARDER...

:troll:
+1 agreed on all of the above, but my alltime favorite is when you take your car to a car wash & everyone closes the doors by pushing on the window

Handle the handles & sit on the seats!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #14

Car Wash?

The car wash? Surely you jest. When I bought my Box I spent a week with my Porter Cable getting rid of all the car wash swirls and scratches in the clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
+1 agreed on all of the above, but my alltime favorite is when you take your car to a car wash & everyone closes the doors by pushing on the window

Handle the handles & sit on the seats!
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
Carnut

Not to flame!

But, with every Porsche the frunk isn't to be slammed, that applies as well to any 911 new or old. I always have a look and watch for dents around the crest and whenever I see a dent there I think, oh no, another non-knowing Porsche driver...., the dent is a result of uneven pressure to shut the hood.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #16

Yup, I have the same problem. I don't get into the frunk much so I haven't given much thought to adjusting it.

I lower mine down until it catches, but it takes a very firm push to get it to latch. So much so that I worry that I may put a dent in it.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #17

You can try adjusting the stops under the hood. But you may get an uneven or too large of a gap between the top of the bumper and the front edge of the hood.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #18

Not good...

Hi KellyC,

As so many other pointed out if you have to slam the frunk to close it, something is wrong. Maybe the latch is bent or simply out of adjustment. But geeez, there is never a need to slam it.

This was a common problem with the original VW beetle. The latch was a flimsy thing and took only one slam to mess it up. But when all was well you could close it easily with one hand and slight pressure.

On the Boxster, when everything is correct it takes minimal pressure on the lid right above the latch to close it. Get it fixed yourself or let someone else do it for you. There is a slim chance if you go the wrong way with adjusting, you'll fix it so you can't open it

Good luck with it and no one thinks you are an idiot for asking. The only foolish question is the one you don't ask.

Cheers
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #19

Something to throw into the conversation....

My frunk lid was rattling on the road and my mechanic raised the lid, unscrewed the rubber bushings a turn or two on both sides, and said, "give that a try now."

The reverse is also true. If the lid is really hard to close, there's no reason not to see if those rubber bushings are up too high.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #20

Good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Something to throw into the conversation....

My frunk lid was rattling on the road and my mechanic raised the lid, unscrewed the rubber bushings a turn or two on both sides, and said, "give that a try now."

The reverse is also true. If the lid is really hard to close, there's no reason not to see if those rubber bushings are up too high.
On my 2004 50th Anniversary Edition I had a hell of a squeak when driving, I could hear it more with the top down. Found out all it was was the frunk lid latch, I think I gave those rubber bumpers a slight twist and lubed the latch and the noise was gone. Forgot they were even there when I posted!

J T

Last edited by J Tinsby; 03-31-2011 at 11:38 AM.
J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote