Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Front plate ticket

Trying to have a good St. Patrick's Day and got pulled over for no front license plate. I've been driving around for almost 2 years without a plate so I know I had it coming. I really don't think I would have been pulled over had it not been St. Patrick's day and the guy been trolling for drunks.

Haven't called yet to see how much its gonna run me. Think I'll show up in court just for the hell of it. With as many murders and **************** that goes on in Dayton, and being a teacher for Dayton Public, I'm hoping the judge will probably just throw it out.

I got out and bolted the plate on the front. He was at the next intersection in a spot where he couldn't get to me easily so I tried denting the floor board and let it bounce off the rev limiter. I hate State cops.

Sorry, just felt like ranting.
Jake

Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #2

Hopefully judge will pardon the ticket. Im assuming you got pulled over at night. may be cop could have given you ticket for tint and smoked taillights as well? I used to run with no front license plate but decided to put it on the dash. I also have dark tint and smoked 3rd light/taillights and it will be a matter of time before I get pulled over as well. Seems states are running out of money . Dont get your anger out on your Boxie, just think about how many times you have gotten away with speeding without a ticket. btw, Browns or Bengals?
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

Yeah he could have got me for more, but he could have also let me go once he realized I hadn't been drinking.

I usually watch the bengals, but there hasn't been much to watch since, well forever, so last year I started watching the browns a little more.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #4

I got pulled over for speeding a couple of months ago and the VA Trooper didn't say a word about no front plate. Maybe he thought the $150 ticket was enough. He did reduce the speed.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

something simple like that they will likely take care of once you show that it's been installed, but ymmv.
jjbodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #6

Up here it's a $135 citation - adds up!

You may get it dismissed if you've since mounted it, this time, not next.

If your state requires a front plate, just go ahead and put one on.

It may not be very visually appealing, but you've removed one source of probable cause - you never know when you might have had just 1 too many beers and would otherwise not attract attention, but the missing plate is an invite to a stop.

My state requires them, but ironically, it's optional on a collector plated car. This is why I opted for collector plates for my 911 (21 y.o.), just so I'm legal running with only 1 plate.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #7

Follow Up

Let us know what the judge has to say. I'm up in Cracker -- er, I mean Clark County and would like to know how you come out.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #8

I received a front plate citation in February but it was only a $10 dismissal fee if fixed within 15 days. Police activity in the Dallas burbs has noticeably increased in recent months.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #9

Garage
Sorry to hear.

I am also running without a front plate here in Colorado where they are required. We will see what happens over time.

I am currently going through the process of having received 2 speeding tickets in 32 minutes (not in the Boxster). I could just pay and get a lower points total but I am going to go to court. I pulled my license record today which is clean for the last 7 years to take with me to the court. Consensus from other forums/friends is that given the clean record and offering a defensive driving online course (if I need to) I could potentially get a reduction to defective vehicle. We will see.

Anyway maybe, for you, it is worth doing a similar pull of license, going to court and fighting it. Just my 2c. good luck.

Gareth
gthompson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson999
I am also running without a front plate here in Colorado where they are required. We will see what happens over time.

I am currently going through the process of having received 2 speeding tickets in 32 minutes (not in the Boxster). I could just pay and get a lower points total but I am going to go to court. I pulled my license record today which is clean for the last 7 years to take with me to the court. Consensus from other forums/friends is that given the clean record and offering a defensive driving online course (if I need to) I could potentially get a reduction to defective vehicle. We will see.

Anyway maybe, for you, it is worth doing a similar pull of license, going to court and fighting it. Just my 2c. good luck.

Gareth
I was pulled over by a Colorado state cop for no front plate on the F355 F1 GTS several years ago. When I went to court the assistant DA dropped the charges. I was dressed clean but casual...not over dressed. I was polite and businesslike. Some of the people there looked like hippies who hadn't bathed in weeks. Several people's names were called and no one showed.

Show some respect. Don't be a wise guy. things will usually work out. the DA has a choice of who to prosecute too. And I think it was Teller County where Blackhawk and Central City are. the gambling revenues were flowing. they had brand new schools and a brand new beautiful courthouse and police station out in the middle of nowhere.

I was very polite to the state cop. Told him I was not aware a front plate was required in Colorado as I just moved there from Illinois. He told me I was lucky that he didn't tow the car as it could have been stolen from the dealer. I showed him the service work papers from the dealer with my name on them and said I really did't think the dealer would do service for for me if I had stolen the car from them. Of course it was Sunday and the dealer was closed so he could not call them. Apparently the car had not been reported being stolen so the only thing he could write me up for was no front plate.

He did not look in the trunk but he looked at the engine and the VIN plates to see that they matched. I think maybe he was disappointed that I was not speeding and/or maybe he just wanted to look at the car. I have had 2 other instances when cops have pulled me over and no ticket. I think they just want to look at the car.

Life is good.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #11

Jake D, State Boy or local?
State Boyz have no sence of humor, but if you've been in the Buckeye for any period of time you know that.
On the DD, my front plate does not match the rear plate. Same tag letters, but different background: old version and new version. A cop would have to walk around the car and even then he might not notice.
It's my little poke at The MAN.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #12

It was a state cop. He was just trying to nab DUI's so any excuse to pull someone over he took it.

Maybe its profiling, maybe its just me, but I don't think I'll ever get out of any tickets being as young as I am. I'm 25 and was rocking a mohawk with an all blacked out car. I am constantly getting asked if it's my dads car or how I can afford something like that. Truth is, I barely can and overall, I shouldn't own it. I'm Porsche rich and cash poor. Not a good combo, but I figure might as well have fun while I'm young. I know a lot of people would not agree with that statement, but to each his own.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
....but I figure might as well have fun while I'm young....
I wish I was 25 with a Porsche!
It took me another 25 years to find out that I wanted to have some fun before I die.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn
I wish I was 25 with a Porsche!
It took me another 25 years to find out that I wanted to have some fun before I die.
I have never had a nice vehicle. I worked at a shop and usually drove around honda's that I bought off a customer who didn't want to fix them. I got out of school and got my first real job as a teacher. My mom and stepdad opened a butcher shop up and I worked for them on nights and weekends to pay my rent (been renting a house from my mom since I turned 18). I also had a roommate who paid $300 a month so that paid for all the utilities and things. I came across a Boxster and once I drove it I had to have one. Life was great. Had a nice car, house, and a good job. That was last year

Since then, I lost my job, my mom and stepdad divorced, she moved back to my/her house so all my stuff had to go...... ****************ty.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
Since then, I lost my job, my mom and stepdad divorced, she moved back to my/her house so all my stuff had to go...... ****************ty.
Sorry to hear you're hitting a rough patch.
Did you loose your teaching job because of all the education cuts?
I'm in the budget committee of our school district, have to cut about $20 million and more than 130 teachers will be fired. What happened to our children being our future?

The only words of encouragement that I can give is that you're lucky not to have a wife and kids to support, that really limits your possibilities. The world is still your playground and you have a nice ride already to get you to wherever opportunities beckon.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #16

Not me, I'm glad I WAS NOT 25 with a Porsche. It was embarrassing enough as a 42 year old at the time to be asked by a female judge "what kind of car can go that fast"? She actually eluded to being curious about a ride, the constable wanted to tear my head off. Haha too bad constable, my dad was a sheriff for 24 years, came in handy a lot...

PS I have to echo the good words about layoffs, I lost a career after 16 years at the same company and it feels like jumping off a moving bus, the tuck and roll is brutal but it gets much better. Enjoy life as much as you can regardless of what you got to work with, hell it's 3am and my spine is on fire and I'm still looking forward to a spring drive soon..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-19-2011 at 10:56 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn
Sorry to hear you're hitting a rough patch.
Did you loose your teaching job because of all the education cuts?
I'm in the budget committee of our school district, have to cut about $20 million and more than 130 teachers will be fired. What happened to our children being our future?

The only words of encouragement that I can give is that you're lucky not to have a wife and kids to support, that really limits your possibilities. The world is still your playground and you have a nice ride already to get you to wherever opportunities beckon.
I was working for a charter school with an at-will contract in a crappy part of town. I was there a little more than a year and was pretty miserable but still trying to be thankful that I had a job. I found out more about the "company" that I worked for and I just morally didn't agree with what was going on at the school. Putting 35 6th graders into one classroom when most of them had IEP's or behavior problems, scripted reading programs that hadn't been working, keeping students who we couldn't accommodate their needs, the list goes on and on...

After I learned a little bit more about how the company operated, it was very clear that we were in the business of making $ and not providing a good education. We were suppose to have an open door policy with out principal so I talked to her about some the things that were going on. Not petty things or gripes, but serious issues that directly effected the students and myself. Well they didn't like that much so I was fired. Saw 2 different lawyers about it and they basically said it wouldn't be worth pursuing.

As a school we were spending around $642,000 a year on "rent." The Principal fired an older black guy and hired her husband who had a G.E.D and was getting paid roughly $10gs more than the teachers. He was titled "office manager," and had been working there since I had been and the day I was fired he had to ask me what the phone number was to the school. It was crazy there.

You may have heard about this company, Imagine Schools. Here's a link to a site that explains a little bit more about this company and even provides the tax documents.

http://www.policymattersohio.org/ImagineSchools.htm
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson999

Gareth
With 2 tickets already, why would you invite an officer to pull you over again by driving around without a front plate?

I've been pulled over just for that in Colorado before, by the way.

In general, I wouldn't be looking to give the police a reason to pull me over. Especially when driving a high end car. I could easily see that the officer would take the position that you think you're somehow better than everyone else and don't need to follow the law and he/she wants to put you in your place.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #19

sorry up front for the h/j but someone has to say it:

You're going to have a tough time finding morality and profit pursuit acting in tandem in the fortune 500 world. My company once did something knowingly so heinous I won't even type it. I will say it was on the magnitude of the recently revealed shipments by GSK of known mis-marked medicines. Capitalism and working within it is like a soul gristmill, it's always going to be a personal journey to stay away from the tines on the feed rollers, pick your spots where you can make a difference and do the right thing. You can be a great person who works for whats best within the context of the script each of our employers writes.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-20-2011 at 06:42 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #20

Massachusetts requires a front plate

Sorry about your experience Jake, especially if you WERE profiled in some form
as a result of your appearance.

I'm in Massachusetts where they do require a front plate. Every time I go to get
an inspection sticker I screw mine on, or they will fail it. Guaranteed. ALL of them
will fail it. No matter how many different places you try.

If I ever get pulled over for not having one ? I'm gonna ask the Cop to stand
there with me and watch traffic go by for a couple minutes. I guarantee 25%
of cars, trucks, SUVs or whatever going by don't have a front plate. At which point I'm gonna tell him " You must be one busy dude".

jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote