Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #1

Date Change: Willow Springs Big Track June XX, 2005

UPDATE: THE DATE IS BEING CHANGED TO EITHER JUNE 27 OR JUNE 28. I WILL POST AGAIN WHEN I KNOW FOR SURE.

A group called ACRA (American Car Racing Assn.) is running HPDE at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway (the big track, NOT Streets of Willow) in Rosamond, Calif. on Wednesday, June 15. The price is $145, or $150 if you pay by PayPal. It looks like sign-ups are slow, so you will probably be able to get lots of track time without a lot of traffic (although I can't promise that).

To register, go to www.americancarracing.com

Here is more info from ACRA:

"Hey Racers,

Our next event will be on June 15, 2005 at Willow Springs on the Big Track. The track day will be held in the same fashion as all of our other events. There will be 3 run groups (beginning, intermediate and advanced). Each run group will be given 5 Thirty minute sessions (that's 2.5 hours of track time!!). There will be on track and classroom instruction. An all you can eat BBQ Lunch and a custom shirt is included. The price is $145 per driver. It is free to watch and ride along and extra lunches for spectators are $10, so bring out your friends and family."

2004 EVO RS -- Muellerized/RRE engine & suspension
2004 Audi S4 (B6) sedan -- bone stock

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Richard EVO; 06-03-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: DATE CHANGE
Richard EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #2

Nice! Do you know how far Willow is from San Diego????

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
looks to be about 200 mi:

WHERE IS WILLOW SPRINGS INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY?
WSIR is located approx. 90 miles North of downtown Los Angeles, California. WSIR is on the north side of the "Antelope Valley" area, in southeast Kern County. WSIR is physically located at 3500 75th Street West and Rosamond Blvd. in Rosamond, CA. - just 6 miles from Highway 14 and with easy freeway access!

from

http://www.mtctrackday.com/course.shtml

mapquest directions, sd to rosamond
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks much. I may make it up there!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #5

Do you race with good seperation between cars? I don't want some red-neck who thinks he's re-living Days of Thunder crashing into my car.

This looks really cool, I think I'm gonna do it.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #6

HPDE events are designed for courteous drivers. You have different run groups based on skill level. Beginner-level run groups generally don't allow passing anywhere except on straights.

The idea is though that you're supposed to be COURTEOUS. If you have someone on your ass and you're obviously holding him back, pull over on the straight and point him by. If you don't follow this procedure, you'll likely get flagged and if you continue, you'll get a black flag.

The big track can be pretty intimidating. Definitely take your time and feel out the track before going ball's-out! Streets of Willow is a lot more forgiving.

I'd love to run the Boxster on a track. I don't know the rules though--is the boxster allowed, since it has roll bars? Generally I would expect it to not be allowed.

It takes over two hours to get to WSIR from North County (San Diego, CA)
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #7

Yeah I saw that the Big track you will be HAULING ASS at all times, I don't see any point where your under 60 mph and definitely I would say 140 at least on the straight aways

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #8

I am really impressed with the response here. You Boxster guys are serious track hounds. I made the exact same 1st post on this thread on forums for: (1) Corvette; (2) Elise; (3) EVO (2 different boards); (4) WRX STi; and (5) Audi. I did not get one single reply on any of the other boards, but I got 5 replies here already. I have run Big Willow several times. It is a really fun high speed track, but it has some twisties as well.

I have been with this group once before, and they are COURTEOUS, and pretty laid back. Most of the cars are Porsches, Corvettes, some older American muscle cars, and the odd Viper, EVO (me), 350Z or STi. There were no Miatas or Mini Coopers the day I went, because Big Willow is for high-hp cars. They have passing rules, and, if I recall correctly, point-bys are mandatory in the beginner and intermediate groups.

I have seen some magazine articles that say the Boxster is the best handling street car available for the track. Hope you all show up.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #9

Hey, i see you've had Mueller's hands on your car! He tuned my 1998 Eclipse that I track. I'll probably run into you at an event or at his shop one of these days.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #10

Just did my second DE in my 2.7 this past weekend - IN THE WET. The Boxster handled great, you make up for a little less grunt on the straights with a better ability to hold the corners than many other cars. I was surprized by the wet handling as well, still using my original stock ContiSports. CA would be a long drive for me, so I'll have to settle for hearing the stories from those that join you... have fun.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #11

Big Willow is the track in the middle of this rather grainy pic. Streets of Willow is at the top right corner. There is also a dirt oval and a kart track at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
cool pic of the track -- thanks
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #13

update: The Date Is Being Changed To Either June 27 Or June 28. I Will Post Again When I Know For Sure.

Ernest Hemingway