Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Almost time for a drive!

From Northern Il...
Daylight savings this weekend... 50+ degrees is near! It's time to prep the Boxster for my first spring drive!!!! CANT WAIT!
What I love about winter... I get that new car feeling every year!

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
From Northern Il...
Daylight savings this weekend... 50+ degrees is near! It's time to prep the Boxster for my first spring drive!!!! CANT WAIT!
What I love about winter... I get that new car feeling every year!
Lucky you. I still have 1 1/2' of snow blocking the back garage. It will be a couple of weeks yet. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #3

1.5' blocking...I have to laugh, me and the shepherd went past a bank over six feet high yesterday, that's on my street!

I need a clutch job, I wanted to do it myself but that's not physically possible. I am going to start shopping prices soon, I hope my regular mechanic's son can do it, I'm looking to stay under $1,500 if possible.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #4

No sign of spring here yet. Frigid temperatures, howling winds, deep snow drifts... and when I go outside it's even worse!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #5

I'm also in northern Illinois; it will be two months before the Box leaves the garage. We're getting a lot of rain today, but it's snowing 30 miles north in Wisconsin!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #6

I am chomping at the bit to get my box out of the garage.
I have to keep telling myself to wait until the street sweepers come through. LOTS of sand on the sides of the roads.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
1.5' blocking...I have to laugh, me and the shepherd went past a bank over six feet high yesterday, that's on my street!

I need a clutch job, I wanted to do it myself but that's not physically possible. I am going to start shopping prices soon, I hope my regular mechanic's son can do it, I'm looking to stay under $1,500 if possible.
Mine is still sitting in my mechanic's garage, couldn't drive it back yet due to weather.

You can definitely do clutch work for under $1500 if you don't need to replace the flywheel.
Just replaced mine last week. Here is the parts cost break down:
clutch kit is $626
These parts are not needed if you don't have any leaks but they are cheap and you are already there anyway:
RMS $20
IMS seal $6
trans input seal $12.50
total parts $664.50

The mechanic charged me $780 for labor (including LN IMS upgrade), I think it should be 1-2 hrs less if you don't do anything to your IMS.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #8

Going out today

Wife's birthday so we are taking the Boxcar out for a drive as part of the celebration. Roads are clear here in the Hudson Valley and the past rain has cleared most of the sand & salt off the roads. Still a bit chilly as it is only 30.5 degrees F as I type this message. Supposed to rain big time tonight and that will further clear the decks for action. Will let you know how we make out.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #9

Went for a drive last Sunday. The roads were wet in spots from melting snow at the side of the road. We did not put the top down as it was only 40F.

The side roads have some sand on them but the main highways were clear.

Since Sunday we have had 5" of snow but the roads are clear now.

Nice thing is when it snows we can ski, when it doesn't we can drive. Life is good.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Carnut

Can't wait either! Yesterday 1 - 2 ft of snow, today 50's...... crazy spring storms in Utah!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Went for a drive last Sunday. The roads were wet in spots from melting snow at the side of the road. We did not put the top down as it was only 40F.

The side roads have some sand on them but the main highways were clear.

Since Sunday we have had 5" of snow but the roads are clear now.

Nice thing is when it snows we can ski, when it doesn't we can drive. Life is good.
I have been keeping track of the snow here since December 23. So far 151". We live at 8000 ft. and have been able to take a sports car out almost every week. The scenery is not too bad either.
Attached Images

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 03-09-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #12

A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Asssspen.

It's the most expensive town in America, according to a recent article in the WSJ & your f-car pic reinforces that.

Nice F355 Spider!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Wife's birthday so we are taking the Boxcar out for a drive as part of the celebration. Roads are clear here in the Hudson Valley and the past rain has cleared most of the sand & salt off the roads. Still a bit chilly as it is only 30.5 degrees F as I type this message. Supposed to rain big time tonight and that will further clear the decks for action. Will let you know how we make out.

AKL

Follow up, great trip no pools of water to drive through. Very little if any salt & sand left. Permagrin was sagging a bit over the winter but just re-appeared with a vengeance. Almost forgot what fun it is to drive these cars.
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Asssspen.

It's the most expensive town in America, according to a recent article in the WSJ & your f-car pic reinforces that.

Nice F355 Spider!
Actually a 360 Spider. But I did have an F355 F1 GTS some years ago.

The WSJ article you referred to said something to the effect: like being in a small Manhattan in the mountains. Everything except the crime. LOL

Life is good.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Phil did you get the extended warranty on that beast!?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Phil did you get the extended warranty on that beast!?
No. I assume you mean the 360. A real trophy winner. LOL

Too many engine parts not covered on the Boxster so I passed.
Attached Images

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 03-09-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Ya the 360, was just messin with you...nice trophy...now you have to post pics of babes leaning on either car.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Ya the 360, was just messin with you...nice trophy...now you have to post pics of babes leaning on either car.
Well, you asked for it.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #19

Nice . . . car.

You guys have missed some perfect opportunities for driving your Boxster and having fun.

A couple of weeks ago (about 2 I think) I had just finished swapping out the engine in my car and all of the associated problems that occurred afterward. It took the car out to fill it up with gas and get a replacement license plate bulb. As I left, it started raining. By the time I was filling it up at the gas station it had turned to freezing rain. When I came out of the auto parts store, it was really big snowflakes. The roads were slippery as hell. Going home I went to make a left hand turn and gave it too much gas and just strarted spinning. I turned it into a 180 (on purpose) and went back the way I came. From there home, every deserted intersection became a chance to do some donuts. In the one closest to my house, there were two kids walking on the sidewalk. I did two donuts in the intersection. They cheered. It was fun!
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #20

After skiing till 2 PM, I took the Boxster S out for a spin today. It was about 50F, sunny and no wind. So I put the top down. Really great listening to the Sports Exhaust with the top down.

Just before I got on my favorite fast stretch a county cop pulled out right in front of me and started pursuing the cars ahead. Talk about lucky!

A perfect day. And tomorrow looks like more of the same.

Life is good.