Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #21

Garage
"Chu-ching" Keep up the good work guys. I love this site because of the passion for the 986 and your political views.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #22

The collective knowledge of members has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the years. Giving back some of that money was an easy decision. Let's keep the forum going and growing.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #23

Garage
Just sent my payment off , happy to help
teamwenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

This site is worth paying for! I just sent my contribution.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #25

Sent my contribution. The least I can do for the amount of time I spend on these forums.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #26

Just sent my contribution.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #27
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sent my contribution, this forum has been a large part of my life since Nov and I greatly appreciate the participation of everyone!!

Sorry to hear this happened. Hope I don't upset anyone, this is a reason I stay out of lounge (most of the time, I did have to educate Rich on weather once LOL), not that I'm not very politically educated, but I've learned I can still share fun car stuff even with a majority of folks that I don't see eye to eye with politically...either way providing a link to another site or pasting content SHOULD NEVER be a reason to be sued...what a joke. If someone doesn't want something to be copy/paste then don't put content on the internet...what a load of sh-t.

Keep us posted, I can try to give more.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #28
Carnut

Thumbs up

I hope you guys don't mind if I bump this thread up

This is what it is about! Let's keep going!

And I could not agree more, all of us saved so much money and got so many good ideas, time to show some solidarity!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #29

Everyone - Thanks so much for your contributions. It is much appreciated.

RKwei
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #30

Bump

Come on guys. (And gals)
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #31

happy to contribute.

peer pressure!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #32

Richard-

So to hear about these f*cking low life bottom feeders having nothing better to do than come after you. Pathetic scum bags.

Forbes had an article on them not long ago and as soon as I saw it, I figured something of the sort happened here - just didn't think it was those exact low life losers. Once everything is settled, make sure you add yourself / the forum to all the sites out there tracking everyone being shaken down by them.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #33

You guys are amazing. I love this site for many reasons but this thread has turned out to be my all time fav.

Richard K. is pretty much the best man I have ever met. The fact that you would help him (and me) out is very special indeed.

BL (Rich Belloff)

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #34

a small contribution is nothing compared to the kind knowledgeable support from all the members.

Last edited by Gilles; 03-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #35
Carnut

Late night bump!

Keep it going!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #36

Wow, what a crazy series of events. Sorry to hear about all this Richard. This Righthaven group seems like a sleazy company. Just the conspiracy theorist inside thinking aloud here but who is to say that the people cutting and pasting these articles on various forums aren't maybe somehow connected to Righthaven? Would be simply and easy enough I would think especially with the anonymity of the internet. They could do it from any public computer if need be and then you are held liable paying a settlement with the original poster just being a screen name with some bogus email address that can't be traced back. Something to think about. I've heard of crazier scams.

Last edited by Adam; 03-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #37

Contribution sent - keep up the good work!
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #38

To all,
Thanks again for the contributions. It is much appreciated.

As to Righthaven, I certainly don't like their business model but it appears to work. The settlement agreement precludes me from talking about the settlement process, amounts, etc., but I settled 1) to avoid really involved costs, 2) to also avoid secondary liability to Brucelee and 3) to avoid possible liability to the poster who is /has been a regular poster here.

No conspiracy theory necessary- most folks think that in this day and age they are protected when in fact they are not. Righthaven does appear to honor instances where there is a registered DMCA agent and does not sue those website owners - hence the importance of becoming a registered agent.

Was it a defensible case? Yes - a very good one, probably all the way up to the 9th Circuit Court - because this would have been the first case involving a forum and the poster being a forum member versus the poster being the website/blog owner. Start adding up the costs though...

As to public record - there are several websites for aggrieved "Righthaven victims". One of them lists the Righthaven suits by month - you can see 986forum.com and myself listed under October/November 2010. There are also public court documents out there with 986forum in them.

RKwei
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwei
To all,
Thanks again for the contributions. It is much appreciated.

As to Righthaven, I certainly don't like their business model but it appears to work. The settlement agreement precludes me from talking about the settlement process, amounts, etc., but I settled 1) to avoid really involved costs, 2) to also avoid secondary liability to Brucelee and 3) to avoid possible liability to the poster who is /has been a regular poster here.

No conspiracy theory necessary- most folks think that in this day and age they are protected when in fact they are not. Righthaven does appear to honor instances where there is a registered DMCA agent and does not sue those website owners - hence the importance of becoming a registered agent.

Was it a defensible case? Yes - a very good one, probably all the way up to the 9th Circuit Court - because this would have been the first case involving a forum and the poster being a forum member versus the poster being the website/blog owner. Start adding up the costs though...

As to public record - there are several websites for aggrieved "Righthaven victims". One of them lists the Righthaven suits by month - you can see 986forum.com and myself listed under October/November 2010. There are also public court documents out there with 986forum in them.

RKwei
I agree with the sentiments you (and others) have voiced here...it's indisputably a crummy way to turn a buck.

Although I haven't always agreed with some of the causes they've pursued through the judicial system, I wonder if this might have been a good case to chat with someone in the ACLU about. It's just the kind of cause they might have jumped on. Water under the bridge, I suppose, in light of the settlement, but, as with all frivolous, pernicious lawsuits such as this, hopefully someone will find a way to shut them down. These days, with so many wanting to get something for nothing, I guess it's a constant battle anymore...

I'll contribute something when I can...times are a bit lean for me at the moment.

Last edited by Frodo; 03-04-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #40

Sounds like the blog/forum version of a patent troll.