Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Finally got my Boxster

First time post and wasn't positive where to post this at. But finally I am getting a Boxster. I take delivery tomorrow.
I found a 2001 with 22,000 miles on it. I have had an Audi TT hardtop for 3 years now and while I always liked the car I never have "loved" it.
I am 35 and I have been thinking about this car since 93 when the prototype came out. Literally 18 years at this point.
I worked at a car dealership in 2003 that happened to have one on the lot that I took out for a spin one cold night with the top down. And the drive always stuck with me. How the engine sounded, how the rear fenders looked in the mirrors, everything. It was just an experience for me I never forgot.
3 years ago I briefly considered buying one but they were just still a bit out of the price range I wanted to spend. I had a budget and I was determined to stick to it. I found the Audi. It has been a pretty good car. Had 64,000 miles on it and was in pretty decent shape for the most part. It just never did it for me. I would make jokes that I always wanted a Boxster and a Ducati. Instead I bought an Audi and a Triumph.
Lesson learned... never settle.
Anyway. The Boxster is in pristine condition. Leather is perfect, one tiny scratch I could find and all the trim etc is just factory fresh. And yes... I am aware of the issues potentially buying a low mile Boxster can yield. But the way I look at it is at least the other "stuff" doesnt need to be fixed like a higher mileage car. It is a one owner carfax car and I made a call to the dealership that did all the work on the car who said it had never been in there for anything that would be considered major. The dealership I am buying the car from (by far the best car buying experience I have had) said the guy who traded it in is just meticulous about his cars. Like a real nut about taking care of them.
I am planning on driving the car daily until about November this year where it will then be garaged. I am buying a commuter car as my daily driver from that point forward. I want this car to be the car that is in "grandpas garage" when I am 60. My goal is to not let the car get over 50,000 miles in the next 15 years or so. And no more than 75,000 ever. Maybe I am odd that I think that over time the car will potentially be worth more than I paid for it. But it just seems in my years of looking at cars that one kept in good condition with low mileage tends to reverse the downward trend of losing money. Especially as the less desirable cars get turned into scrap or sold for parts or left to rust outside.
This isnt my first porsche. I had two 914's when I was about 18-20. Bought those cars for around 2000 each. And I have had a very tough time finding one in that range that was even remotely in the condition mine were. Not saying any of these cars will ever be some $200,000 barn find. But someday they will be classics and I just want to still have mine.

drftfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #2

Congrats! You will love the car. I just got a new to me 05 S and can't wait to get it out and drive it around.

I've had a 99 Boxster, 01 and 05 S before and love the cars. They are so much fun. I'm on Boxster #4 and am not tired of them yet.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrats on finding a great car! I am sure that you'll never be happier (as I have been since I got my Boxster).

In regards to collectibility, it doesn't look good as Porsche has already made over 175,000 Boxsters and most of them have been very well cared for. For the foreseeable future (10-20yrs), low-milage Boxsters will be about a dime a dozen. Beyond that, its anyone guess but unless production numbers fall significantly, used Boxster prices will stay relatively low.

As long as you enjoy it, that is all that matters!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #4

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Unless your Box has snow tires on it or you're planning to buy some, DON'T DRIVE IT WHEN IT SNOWS. You'll be spinning like a top in a 1/4 inch of snow. You won't have near the traction of your TT in snow. Don't even attempt it or you'll have more than a little scratch to contend with. If you have snows on (not all seasons), you'll get around just fine. Or make friends with someone with a 4wd.

That said, enjoy your Box when the weather permits.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
drftfan,

Sounds like a really nice car, you'll enjoy it. Send us pics soon, next to the snow banks ...j/k, really post some. The previous owner sounds nuts like me, enjoys just seeing it in the garage just as much as driving it, that's the reason I go one with over 50k miles...so I would drive it! When I got mine in the fall (2000 S) I was also looking at at 97 with 11k miles, I just knew I wouldn't drive it. Is this the Arctic Silver with 18 inch turbo wheels I saw online, if so it looks nice. Does it have the original top and rear window?

Cheers!

[QUOTE=SeaNile31]I just got a new to me 05 S and can't wait to get it out and drive it around.QUOTE]

SeaNile!! I thought we lost you in a snow storm, have you posted pics and had a chance to drive the new car? You went quiet, wasn't sure if you had traded already for something else ...let us know how it's going.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

The tires on the car are in great condition. But one thing I learned from my TT is running a performance tire in the winter is idiocy.
So I already have taken care of the tire issue with the local Discount Tire. We arent really due for any snow until next week sometime so I have a bit of time.
It kinda sucks buying new tires right away but because it is winter and I felt good about this car it is just something I have to suck up.
Yes it looks to be all original. Window is in pretty good shape. And it will be garaged for the most part. Plus once it hits warmer weather that top will rarely be up for any type of driving. An ex of mine had a Sebring convertible and every single time I borrowed her car I barely drove it with the top up.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #7

Good call on the snow tires. You'll get around fine.

Be careful about putting the top down in cold weather. Unless someone has changed your back window, it's made of plastic and will crack if you put it down below a certain temp. Can't remember if it's 50 deg, but others will chime in.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #8

My grins come from what I do to put the miles on the car. The more miles on the car the more grins on my face. There is certainly a heck of a lot more fun driving the car and racking up as many miles as you can then letting it sit. I think a 10 year old Boxster in great shape with over 130K miles is more interesting than a garage queen with 20K on it. Go out and enjoy the car doing what it is designed to do. And remember....drive it like a Porsche.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
And remember....drive it like a Porsche.
Exactly what I was thinking. IT'S A PORSCHE BABY!!! DRIVE IT!!!

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #10

[QUOTE=WhipE350]drftfan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31
I just got a new to me 05 S and can't wait to get it out and drive it around.QUOTE]

SeaNile!! I thought we lost you in a snow storm, have you posted pics and had a chance to drive the new car? You went quiet, wasn't sure if you had traded already for something else ...let us know how it's going.

I've had the car for 3+ weeks. It was delivered late (10pm) on Jan 17th just as the snow started to fall. It's been in the garage ever since, plugged into a battery tender and waiting for the roads to clear up. I don't need 80 degrees but salt and grime free roads would be nice. The car is beautiful, no flaws, no hidden issues and I am dying to get it out and drive. It's the same exact car I had a year ago minus the CD changer, Carrera seats and 19" wheels. Everything checked out well on the PPI, tires are practically new and brakes have 70% left.

I use to have a Boxster, then a Boxster S as daily drivers and now I am scared to get this one even the slightest bit dirty. I need to get over that and enjoy the car. I'll get a few pictures today and post them up.

-John
Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #11

I have been driving it pretty hard. I am a firm believer that they are meant to be driven as well. Today I put the top down for the drive in to work. It was in my gf's garage and it was about 50 out. In the Porsche handbook it says not below 32 degress so I took a risk. It was great. It did get a bit chilly as I got closer to work. Yeah next time I will wear my coat.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #12

Um, no pictures = no car.

Post pix!!!!!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #14

I am taking it out for a drive monday. Pics will be forthcoming.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #15

I say do whatever makes you happy, if you're into garage queens, more power to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
Exactly what I was thinking. IT'S A PORSCHE BABY!!! DRIVE IT!!!

I agree , I drive mine like I stole it!
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #16

I've had my '97 since November of 2005. When I bought it it only had 9500 miles on it. I drive the car year round and as long as it has good snows on the wheels it's OK for Winter driving (not great). I now have about 36,000 miles on the car and it has been overall bullet proof since year two. The first year was a bit expensive but since then no issues. I'm going to keep it till it dies. Looks like new and is a joy to drive in the mountains. Best of luck with your new car! Welcome to the group.