View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
drftfan

Finally got my Boxster

First time post and wasn't positive where to post this at. But finally I am getting a Boxster. I take delivery tomorrow.
I found a 2001 with 22,000 miles on it. I have had an Audi TT hardtop for 3 years now and while I always liked the car I never have "loved" it.
I am 35 and I have been thinking about this car since 93 when the prototype came out. Literally 18 years at this point.
I worked at a car dealership in 2003 that happened to have one on the lot that I took out for a spin one cold night with the top down. And the drive always stuck with me. How the engine sounded, how the rear fenders looked in the mirrors, everything. It was just an experience for me I never forgot.
3 years ago I briefly considered buying one but they were just still a bit out of the price range I wanted to spend. I had a budget and I was determined to stick to it. I found the Audi. It has been a pretty good car. Had 64,000 miles on it and was in pretty decent shape for the most part. It just never did it for me. I would make jokes that I always wanted a Boxster and a Ducati. Instead I bought an Audi and a Triumph.
Lesson learned... never settle.
Anyway. The Boxster is in pristine condition. Leather is perfect, one tiny scratch I could find and all the trim etc is just factory fresh. And yes... I am aware of the issues potentially buying a low mile Boxster can yield. But the way I look at it is at least the other "stuff" doesnt need to be fixed like a higher mileage car. It is a one owner carfax car and I made a call to the dealership that did all the work on the car who said it had never been in there for anything that would be considered major. The dealership I am buying the car from (by far the best car buying experience I have had) said the guy who traded it in is just meticulous about his cars. Like a real nut about taking care of them.
I am planning on driving the car daily until about November this year where it will then be garaged. I am buying a commuter car as my daily driver from that point forward. I want this car to be the car that is in "grandpas garage" when I am 60. My goal is to not let the car get over 50,000 miles in the next 15 years or so. And no more than 75,000 ever. Maybe I am odd that I think that over time the car will potentially be worth more than I paid for it. But it just seems in my years of looking at cars that one kept in good condition with low mileage tends to reverse the downward trend of losing money. Especially as the less desirable cars get turned into scrap or sold for parts or left to rust outside.
This isnt my first porsche. I had two 914's when I was about 18-20. Bought those cars for around 2000 each. And I have had a very tough time finding one in that range that was even remotely in the condition mine were. Not saying any of these cars will ever be some $200,000 barn find. But someday they will be classics and I just want to still have mine.
drftfan is offline   Reply With Quote