Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #1

Painting center console a different color...

I have a 2000 base with the P69 Sport Design Interior Option. The interior is in pretty good shape but the door pockets and center console are starting to show their age and some of the paint has come off the shift knob. The P69 option is the "granite" look paint finish that is kind of grey metallic in color. The roll bar, console, door pull, door pockets, door handle surrounds, radio trim, seat back, guage trim and guage rings are all painted this color. I would like to get the console and door pieces repainted to match if possible but I do not know how I would replicate the finish on the pieces so I was thinking of repainting the console and interior pieces in arctic silver (the exterior color) or the aluma look. There is a part of me that would like to keep the originality of the car since the option code is kind of rare though I am not insisting this is going to be a collector car anytime soon. I have checked ebay on occasion for the console and very rarely they come up for sale but I do not plan on paying 400-500 dollars for a used console and probably would not pay that for a new one either. If I was to repaint in either color, it would probably be a DIY project.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I painted mine and it looks great, but nothing like a good professional job. Make sure you get a really good primer and paint and the spray should come out really fine like the caliper paints do, also something fast drying helps. Take your time and make the first several coats very thin and sand after each. Plastic doesn't hold paint well at first and likes to run.
Have you also checked all the dismantle shops there are several big ones. Here are the pics of mine http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27297.
Also if you want to spend the money bumperplugs does an awesome job too, I can recommend them because they did my bumperettes and I been at there office and seen the consoles.
Cheers
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #3

Thanks, I looked at your post several

weeks ago when I was first thinking about getting it repainted. It did come out looking really good. I am aware of bumper plugs and the excellent job they do but the cost of repainting all the parts I am wanting to do would be more than I am willing to spend. I would be fine going back with the finish that is on it now but I do not know how you would match the texture and flake density that is in the paint now....it is hard to describe but the finish is almost like the granite spray paint you can get from krylon or rustoleum, not so much a reflective look like a metal flake silver.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yup tough one, I guess you either paint it yourself and silver shouldn't be too hard or keep searching the dismantle shops.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

I've been down this long and winding road road before.

Very few paint jobs more difficult than that coated scratch-magnet know as a 986/996 console. I tried and failed, as have others. You really have two options if you want it done well. 1) Send to bumperplugs.com 2) save your cash and buy a new one. Dismantlers are a good option but you really need to get a great description. The scratch-issue effects most of these cars -- best not to buy a second-hand problem.

I don't think Porsche gets nearly enough grief for the inexcusably low-quality control on the console and plastic-coated parts of these cars. Kia's of the same year have better looking plastic.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #6

I have the same option code as you (granite type paint everywhere). I wish there was a way to replicate the finish ...
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #7

Does anyone know how to reference

the part number for the painted center console (with the p69 paint color) in case I just decide to order a new one from the dealer?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
the part number for the painted center console (with the p69 paint color) in case I just decide to order a new one from the dealer?
It sounds like one of these...I would double check with a porsche parts dept or take it off and look:

996 552 125 03 D05
996 552 995 01

I got these out of PET
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Do you know where

the part number is stamped on the console? Thanks for the help so far!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sorry I can't remember, can't miss it though once it is off. It might not however have the sub number but I could be wrong, my steering wheel went all the way to the .54 A08.
I've attached the two PET pages...
Attached Images