Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Evolution air filter question

My question is would it be bad to not use the supplied airbox?

I currently have the EVO filter with the supplied airbox. The air box that came with the filter setup is poor fitting, but it does direct incoming air to the filter.
The filters are very expensive 80$ but I have better filters (20$) that fit the tube, but not in the box. They are a bit fatter.

The EVO airbox does not really seal off the compartment anyway, but would it be better to use it rather than let the cone filter hang free?

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
My question is would it be bad to not use the supplied airbox?

I currently have the EVO filter with the supplied airbox. The air box that came with the filter setup is poor fitting, but it does direct incoming air to the filter.
The filters are very expensive 80$ but I have better filters (20$) that fit the tube, but not in the box. They are a bit fatter.

The EVO airbox does not really seal off the compartment anyway, but would it be better to use it rather than let the cone filter hang free?

James
I am not sure exactly what your question is, but the EVO filter is proprietary and its the only one designed to work with their air box . They do not recommend using any other brand or style of filter with their system. Furthermore, its considered a "life-time" filter, and with routine cleaning it should last indefinitely. Also, there has been some confusion amongst members as to whether or not the EVO filter should be oiled after cleaning it. I spoke with Ian at Evolution Motorsports, and the answer is yes. Although, it should only be coated with a light mist . As far as getting it to fit securely, I agree its pain in the a**. However, the technique that worked for me was to take a wooden dowel and create leverage on the filter end, and once everything was in place and the filter was snug against the airbox/intake tube I tighten down the hose clamps .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 02-02-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

Garage
JHandy

You can run without airbox (nothing more than a panel). The performance degradation with drawing in engine heated air will probably offset the free breathing benefits your getting from replacing your OEM airbox. I see you live in Texas, I can just imagine the under hood heat that's being produced and in turn being drawn into the intake with no "airbox". I'm sure I don't need to tell you how dense the air is at that temp. Don't know? Try breating it yourself besides running an engine.

What I did when I installed my EVO was to install the top engine cover and remove the passenger compartment access panel. I then reached up to the airbox panel and felt all the way around to insure there was a complete seal. There was a gap at the top of the box/panel and engine cover, I used a dense foam to seal off the engine compartment heated air and to allow it to draw all air through the drivers side intake duct.

FYI, with the snorkel installed the air intake is choked down to pretty small orifice. Remove the snorkel and the hole is doubled. Remove the airbox and that hole is doubled and with the EVO the intake the air has a straight shot to the intake tube.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the help.
I just wish that they put more thought into the panel. I would love to see a sealed box, that you put a cone filter into, and then the box bolts up to the intake hole on the fender.

I currently wrap the filter in a "pre filter bag" and that seems to catch most of the finer particles before it hits the filter.

With the EVO box open on the top, the filter seems to get much more dirty than if it was drawing in clean air. How well the filter works is the larger question.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

I am sure this has been asked in the past but has there been any dyno results for the Evo system documented?